Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- New post: On one month with our little Annie-mal! https://t.co/hytcmocr2G about 23 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- https://t.co/hytcmocr2G 05:18:49 PM November 19, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Reflections on one month of parenting! https://t.co/hytcmocr2G 02:47:28 PM November 19, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Adventures in Annie wearing! First family-of-four trip to our favorite South Mountain Reservation! Annie did great… https://t.co/Jal4KL9X6a 03:14:48 PM November 18, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- November 19, 2018 by AliLife With a Newborn: One Month!
- November 14, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 106: I Had a Baby!
- November 7, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 105: Emily Abbate, Fitness Writer & Host of the Hurdle Podcast
- October 31, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 104: Stephanie Bruce
- October 30, 2018 by AliPregnancy + Baby Q&A
Ali on the Run Show Episode 69: Sarah Sellers, 2nd Female at the 2018 Boston Marathon
“I think that’s what unites us as runners — we’re all trying to overcome excuses and doubts to get out there.” —Sarah Sellers
“Who is Sarah Sellers?” That’s the question everyone was asking after the Tucson, AZ runner finished second at the 2018 Boston Marathon. Sarah isn’t a professional runner. She doesn’t have a sponsor. And she paid her own Boston Marathon entry fee. But on a brutally rainy and windy day in Boston, the 26-year-old nurse anesthetist ran a 2:44.04 — good enough to land her in the spot behind winner Desi Linden. Sarah had no idea she finished second (and, in doing so, nabbed a cool $75,000 prize), and when we recorded this episode just 48 hours after the race, she was still processing the results. Enjoy as she breaks down every detail from before, during, and after the race — including the surreal moment when she passed Shalane Flanagan! (And fun fact: Boston was only Sarah’s second marathon ever!)
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Sarah shares how she’s feeling 48 hours after placing second at the Boston Marathon (1:30)
- What Sarah’s Boston buildup was like, and how she balances high-mileage training with a demanding full-time job (4:20)
- The very cute story of how Sarah met her husband, Blake (8:00)
- How working long days helped prepare Sarah for Marathon Monday (8:45)
- Whether Sarah ever considered dropping out on race day (9:45)
- Sarah’s unexpected pre-race detour (10:00)
- Sarah shares her pre-race goals and the weather factors she dreads the most (11:35)
- What it was like starting with the elite field (13:00)
- Sarah breaks down the race from the soaking start to that triumphant finish (16:10)
- What it was like passing Shalane Flanagan (19:00)
- How Sarah found out she finished in second place (20:45)
- How Sarah plans to spend her $75,000 winnings (26:00)
- The moment that stands out as the ultimate high point from Sarah’s Boston Marathon experience (27:00)
- What’s next? (30:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!