Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 17, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 158: Beatie Deutsch, National Marathon Champion of Israel
- July 17, 2019 by Ali9 Months of Annie
- July 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 157: Motherhood Mondays with Julia Berteletti and Laura Green
- July 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 156: Sarah MacKay Robinson, Elite Runner
- July 7, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 155: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Molly Millwood, Clinical Psychologist
Ali on the Run Show Episode 67: Tina Muir, Host of the Running For Real Podcast
“I’m trying not to call it a comeback because I’m a completely different person now.” —Tina Muir
Tina Muir is an elite runner from England (she’s a 2:36 marathoner!), a new mom, and the host of the Running For Real podcast. Tina went viral last year when she announced her surprising decision to stop running. Her reason: She hadn’t had her period in nine years. Tina opened up about her struggle with amenorrhea and her desire to start a family, and on this episode she explains why she decided to share her story, what it was like going viral and having People magazine write about her period, and what she was afraid people would think about her. Tina also discusses body dysmorphia, how she handled intentionally gaining weight, her eventual pregnancy, and how giving birth compares to running a marathon. Check out Running For Real in a few weeks, when I’ll be Tina’s guest!
This episode is brought to you by Strava, the leading social network for athletes. Click here to join today, and then enter for your chance to win a 2018 TCS New York City Marathon entry and a $500 travel stipend!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What it means to be a professional runner, and how Tina made it work after college (3:30)
- Why Tina decided to stop running (6:50)
- Tina’s journey with amenorrhea (11:40)
- The steps Tina took to try and beat her amenorrhea (17:50)
- Why Tina shared her story when she did (20:00)
- What it was actually like setting out to gain weight, and how Tina dealt with it emotionally (22:30)
- Tina’s timeline: How long it took from when she stopped running to when she got pregnant (28:45)
- Why Tina decided to start running again at six weeks pregnant, and how running went throughout her pregnancy (33:50)
- How Tina approached childbirth with the same mentality as running a marathon (37:00)
- Tina’s triumphant return to running after having a baby — and whether she’s worried about amenorrhea striking again (39:00)
- How Tina got into podcasting (42:55)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!