Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I’ve always been in such awe of parents who finish their races and go right back to momming and dadding. It seemed… https://t.co/wIS9mufpqJ about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Oh gosh, if your job is to be the PR agency representing Skechers, YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO SPELL SKECHERS! THERE IS… https://t.co/7LUVkG0Swd about 14 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- March 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 128: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Nicole Detling, Sports Psychologist
- March 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 127: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Rachel Nazarian, Dermatologist
- March 10, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 126: Ali & the Experts Week with Shannon McLay, Founder of The Financial Gym
- March 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 125: Ali & the Experts Week with Dr. Logan Levkoff, Sex & Relationships Educator
- March 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 124: Ali & the Experts Week with Brynn Fessette O'Neill, Physical Therapist
Ali on the Run Show Episode 67: Tina Muir, Host of the Running For Real Podcast
“I’m trying not to call it a comeback because I’m a completely different person now.” —Tina Muir
Tina Muir is an elite runner from England (she’s a 2:36 marathoner!), a new mom, and the host of the Running For Real podcast. Tina went viral last year when she announced her surprising decision to stop running. Her reason: She hadn’t had her period in nine years. Tina opened up about her struggle with amenorrhea and her desire to start a family, and on this episode she explains why she decided to share her story, what it was like going viral and having People magazine write about her period, and what she was afraid people would think about her. Tina also discusses body dysmorphia, how she handled intentionally gaining weight, her eventual pregnancy, and how giving birth compares to running a marathon. Check out Running For Real in a few weeks, when I’ll be Tina’s guest!
This episode is brought to you by Strava, the leading social network for athletes. Click here to join today, and then enter for your chance to win a 2018 TCS New York City Marathon entry and a $500 travel stipend!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What it means to be a professional runner, and how Tina made it work after college (3:30)
- Why Tina decided to stop running (6:50)
- Tina’s journey with amenorrhea (11:40)
- The steps Tina took to try and beat her amenorrhea (17:50)
- Why Tina shared her story when she did (20:00)
- What it was actually like setting out to gain weight, and how Tina dealt with it emotionally (22:30)
- Tina’s timeline: How long it took from when she stopped running to when she got pregnant (28:45)
- Why Tina decided to start running again at six weeks pregnant, and how running went throughout her pregnancy (33:50)
- How Tina approached childbirth with the same mentality as running a marathon (37:00)
- Tina’s triumphant return to running after having a baby — and whether she’s worried about amenorrhea striking again (39:00)
- How Tina got into podcasting (42:55)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!