Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Honored to have @runnerKG back on the Ali on the Run Show today, sharing her Olympic Trials story. Give it a listen… https://t.co/aa0PvIc7Le 09:06:18 AM March 26, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Hey everyone, go wish @erinstrout a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Erin, you are an amazing human, exceptional dog mom, and… https://t.co/DqffBVO947 11:11:03 AM March 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Very excited to launch the ON THE JOB series on the Ali on the Run Show today, starting with Rachel Dewan, archaeol… https://t.co/1DJQfShriK 07:28:23 AM March 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- March 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 222: Kaitlin Goodman Recaps the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials
- March 23, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 221: On the Job with Rachel Dewan, Archaeologist
- March 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 220: Andrea Toppin Recaps Her Race at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials
- March 19, 2020 by AliIn Times Like These...
- March 18, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 219: Jacqueline Alnes, Creator of Running-Inspired Tiny Art
Ali on the Run Show Episode 64: Des Linden
“We fail all the time, and we learn from it and we get better. I think that’s amazing. You fail your way to success. That’s how it happens, and I’m super comfortable with that. I have no problem pointing out a bunch of failures in my career. But I don’t define myself or my career as a failure.” —Des Linden
Desiree Linden is a professional distance runner who has represented the United States at the London and Rio Olympics. She runs for the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project in Michigan, and is a strong, consistent 2:22 marathoner. In one month, Des will race the Boston Marathon, and on this episode she talks about how her training has been going, and why she’s in it to win it. She also talks about why she thinks women are often hesitant to admit their big, scary, awesome goals, and opens up her recent running burnout — and how she busted out of it. Plus, Des talks about failure — and why she’s not afraid of it — and shares her big post-Boston goal. (Hint: She wants to make big moves in 2020.)
This episode is brought to you by Strava, the leading social network for athletes. Click here to join today, and then enter for your chance to win a 2018 TCS New York City Marathon entry and a $500 travel stipend!
What you’ll get in this episode:
- How Des is feeling a month out from the Boston Marathon and what her training strategy and approach have been this time around (2:10)
- Whether Des has had any of those magical runs yet in her Boston training (4:50)
- The marathon taper: Love it or hate it? (6:40)
- What would make Desi’s husband say, “She’s batshit crazy” (7:45)
- Whether Des is superstitious or what her pre-race rituals entail (9:45)
- How Des thinks she’s evolved as a competitive athlete (11:40)
- How Des evaluates her race performances (13:00)
- What Des is thinking when she’s standing on the start line (13:35)
- How Desi became such a consistent runner — and ran perfectly even splits at last year’s Boston Marathon (16:00)
- Who Des says is her biggest competition at this year’s Boston Marathon (17:00)
- Des shares her best advice for Boston first-timers (18:10)
- Whether Des notices spectators when she races — and what YOU need to yell to her when you see her run by! (18:45)
- Why Des never looks rattled or emotional when she runs (21:40)
- How Des is feeling about the United NYC Half
- The women Des loves racing against (24:30)
- How Des kicked her running slump (25:05)
- How Des feels about the word failure (26:00)
- How Des met her husband, Ryan, and the hilarious story about their first encounter (31:05)
- How Des would describe herself as a runner (37:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Lady on trail: Wow, you are really intimidating!
Me: Really? … give me your wallet!
Both of us: 😂😂😂
— des_linden (@des_linden) February 17, 2018
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!