Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
- September 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 177: You Can Run a Marathon Q&A with Greg McMillan & Dr. Cathy Yeckel
- September 25, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 176: Megan Harrington, Creator of The Runner's Kitchen
Ali on the Run Show Episode 63: Dr. Meggie Q&A Part II: Fertility, Infertility, Labor, Delivery, & Advice
“Be open-minded and bring snacks.”
Dr. Meggie is back! Meggie Smith made her Ali on the Run Show debut last year, when she was wrapping up her OB/GYN residency at the NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City. After graduating, Meggie moved to California, where she’s currently pursuing her fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the University of Southern California. On Part II of this two-part episode, Meggie answers listener questions about fertility, infertility, and giving birth, plus all kinds of personal stuff, like what med school is really like, what it takes to gross her out, how to date when you’re constantly on call, and whether delivering babies every day makes her want one more or less. And listen to the very end, because the last question of this episode might be my favorite.
What you’ll get in this episode:
- How long do healthy couples try for a baby? (1:30)
- What can I do now to become pregnant in a couple years? (4:00)
- Is it ever too early to start taking pre-natal vitamins? (5:50)
- Is mid- to late-thirties too late to have kids? (6:20)
- How long should you wait to conceive after traveling to a country with the Zika virus? (9:20)
- Birth stuff: Meggie’s thoughts on epidural vs. drug-free births (10:20)
- What do OB/GYNs really think about birth plans? (11:40)
- Meggie’s best advice for someone going into labor & the biggest myth about labor (14:00)
- Postpartum stuff — including why you’re peeing a little when you run (15:15)
- Are some vaginas weird? (19:20)
- Meggie’s best advice for studying for the MCATs (21:00)
- Meggie’s experience with burnout (26:00)
- Dating & doctoring (28:00)
- Whether delivering babies every day makes Meggie want one more or less (32:25)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!