Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
- September 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 177: You Can Run a Marathon Q&A with Greg McMillan & Dr. Cathy Yeckel
- September 25, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 176: Megan Harrington, Creator of The Runner's Kitchen
Ali on the Run Show Episode 55: Nick Symmonds
The Ali on the Run Show
Guest: Nick Symmonds
“I wanted to prove to everyone that all the sacrifices I’d made and dumb decisions I made were worth it.”
Nick Symmonds was a professional track and field athlete for 12 years, specializing in the 800 meters. He made two Olympic teams — the first when he was just 22 years old — and represented Team USA in Beijing and London. Nick, who lives in Eugene, OR, and is the CEO of Run Gum, retired from professional racing last year, and is now a proud, self-professed “hobby jogger.” He made his marathon debut at the 2017 Honolulu Marathon, and is now training to break three hours in the 26.2-mile distance this spring.
Here’s what you’ll get in this episode:
- How Nick got into running (3:20)
- When he realized he could make a career out of running and the life-changing training decision that launched his professional career (5:20)
- Nick’s advice for mastering the 800m (8:45)
- What it’s like competing at the Olympics (11:00)
- When he was “the most nervous he’s ever been for a race” (12:35)
- How Nick developed his mental strength and overcame “the rollercoaster of emotions” (14:00)
- The sacrifices he made to become an Olympian (16:45)
- How he made the decision to retire in 2017, and how he felt the day after his retirement (17:45)
- Why he wanted to run a marathon (20:45)
- Why he says the Boston Marathon pisses him off and “is B.S.” and that running it would be going against his core beliefs (26:00)
- The Run Gum story (30:00)
- What Nick sees as the biggest problems in professional track and field (35:00)
- Nick’s take on doping in professional sports and lifetime bans (37:00)
- The latest on Nick’s love life — plus how he ended up on a date with Paris Hilton (40:40)
What We Mention on this Episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on iTunes. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!