Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 6, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 260: On the Job with United States Air Force Colonel Shelly Mendieta
- July 5, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 259: On the Record with the Hosts of Keeping Track
- July 2, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 258: Feel-Good Friday with Claudia Thompson, President of Claudia Connects
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
Ali on the Run Show Episode 54: Olympic Gold Medalist Gwen Jorgensen
The Ali on the Run Show
Guest: Gwen Jorgensen
“It’s easy as an athlete to know what your body is saying, but it’s very hard to listen to it.”
Gwen Jorgensen is a professional triathlete, multiple-time world champion, and Olympic gold medalist. She represented Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics, where she brought home the gold in the triathlon, and that same year, she made her marathon debut at the TCS New York City Marathon. (She ran a 2:41, coming in 14th place overall.)
So how do you follow a year like that? For Gwen and husband Patrick Lemieux, it meant welcoming their first child, Stanley, who was born in August 2017! It also meant declaring big, bold, exciting dreams: At the end of 2017, Gwen announced her goal to return to the Olympics in 2020, and to win another goal medal. But this time, she wants to do it as a marathoner. Gwen has officially begun her pursuit to chase her marathon dreams and compete at Team USA in the 26.2-mile distance.
Gwen was a blast to talk to — I smiled the entire time! Here’s what you’ll get in this episode:
- Gwen’s expectations vs. reality when it came to her pregnancy and returning to running after giving birth to Stanley.
- Exactly how Stanley’s birth went down. (“I hope your listeners don’t mind details,” Gwen said before getting pretty graphic about the process!)
- What motivated Gwen’s marathon decision.
- How she got into triathlon.
- Where she keeps her gold medal!
- Why husband Patrick has been called “the secret to her success.”
- Exactly how she plans to shave 20 minutes from her marathon time.
- Her best advice for triathletes, including how to master tricky transitions.
Stuff We Mention on this Episode:
“Happy Wife, Happy Life” via NBC Sports
“How This Pair of Ultra-Fit Athletes Makes It Work” via Runner’s World
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on iTunes. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!