“Are You Serious?!”

Date: December 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm- by Ali- Comment(s): 129

“Are you serious?!”

That was the second thing I said on Friday — on the top of a mountain in Oahu as the fiery sun was lighting up the Pacific Ocean — when Brian got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.

Eventually, after a sufficient amount of questioning him and freaking out and shedding a few very happy tears, I also said yes.

Well done, little GoPro. Really well done.

Well done, little GoPro. Really well done.

Beyond getting a lifelong duathlon relay partner and someone to obnoxiously ring a cowbell at every bike race, I’m not sure Brian knows what he’s in for. I give him a ton of credit for making this trip unbelievably special, and also for proposing in the 6 AM hour while I was wearing workout clothes. Because that seems about right, right? And then we got massages. And then we got cheeseburgers.

But seriously: Wicked excited, super surprised, very happy, and a little sunburned. More details to come if you’re into that sort of thing. But for now, back to basking in this vacation for the next few days.

BRIAN BEDAZZLED MY JAZZ HAND.

BRIAN BEDAZZLED MY JAZZ HAND.

And don’t tell my mom because she will yell at me, but the first thing I said when I realized Brian was proposing: “Shut the f*** up.” Forever classy. (Brian is proud of this because I was essentially super nervous and speechless and he did not think it was possible for me to ever be speechless.)

Aloha, mahalo, namaste, OMG!

Posted in Happy Things, Travel and tagged , -

129 Responses to "“Are You Serious?!”"

Congrats!! That’s pretty much exactly how mine happened, oh wait minus Hawaii and sunrise and cheeseburgers (I’m a vegetarian), but plus the wait are you serious and cuss words part. Very exciting, enjoy!!

Congratulations! Also, don’t feel bad, the first words out of my mouth when my now-hubs proposed were “Is this for real?!”

CONGRATULATIONS! You deserve all of this/that/everything! So happy for you guys and can’t wait to hear more 😀

Congratulations!!!!

Stunning setting, incredibly pictures, and very very happy for you both! xox

so happy for you but not surprised.

Wonderful!!!!! Congratulations. Wishing you both the best. Enjoy this happy time 🙂

MAZEL TOV!!! So happy for you!

SO many Congratulations!!! Ahhh so exciting! Beautiful pictures to cherish for the rest of your life! Nice work Brian!

Congratulations!!!! 🙂

Congrats! from the pictures, it looks like the most perfect and happy moment.

Ali – I’m a long time blog reader and could not be any happier for you. Wishing y’all a great rest of your vacation and a lifetime of happiness!!

Congratulations!

Amazing! And such a great proposal, can’t beat the scenery. Here’s to your new life together.

Congratulations!

yay! congrats! best pic of an engagement every–very well done, indeed little gopro!

Ahh! Congratulations! I definitely teared up! I’m so happy for you both!

CONGRATS!!!

HUGE HUGE congratulations to you both!! It looks like you had a beautiful setting for the proposal. Continue enjoying happy memories and a great trip!

Christina says: December 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Yay Ali & Brian! Congratulations!

So happy for you! Congrats!

Jennifer S. says: December 8, 2014 at 2:10 pm

OMG! CONGRATULATIONS!

I am so happy for you!!!!! Congrats!

CONGRATULATIONS to you both!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Without knowing either one of you in real life, I feel justified in declaring that you are a perfect match for each other. I hope you two have the happiest life together! <3

CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy every minute of it 😀

Big congratulations to you both!!

Congrats!!! So happy for you both!!! Ali things just keep getting better. What a year you’ve had.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys! Enjoy Hawaii!

Well isn’t that just the most beautiful place to get proposed to?!? Congratulations!!!

YAY!!! SO excited for both of you!

Congratulations! My husband actually proposed to me on a mountain and I said, “Are you serious?!?!?” too! So happy for you two!!!

Congrats!!! I love that you got a picture of it happening, that is so special! Enjoy this time 🙂

a million times congratulations. so so so happy for you, internet friend!

So freaking exciting! CONGRATS!

Everything about this is amazing. So excited for you! CONGRATS!

Sooooo freaking flippin’ excited for you! Can I be a bridesmaid?!?!

congrats! so excited for you both!

Congrats!!! And what a setting to pop the big question!!

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN as soon as I saw you were going to Hawaii!! Yayyyy, congrats! Nothing beats a destination proposal and subsequent basking in joy for the rest of the vacation. Enjoy!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! I can feel your excitement and happiness radiating through your post! Love how you keep it real with your reactions 🙂 Cheers to a lifetime of happiness!

Congratulations!!!

Congrats! So happy for you and Brian!

Congratulations! You both look so happy! 🙂

Soooo cute!!!!! Congratulations!! Those photos are adorable!!!

Congratulations! I also kept it classy when proposed to and said, “Are you f***ing kidding me?!”

Happiest of all congratulations to you!

Yay!! Congratulations! It’s absolutely perfect!

Wahoo!!! Congrats and best wishes!!! 🙂

I squealed with delight when I saw this on Insta. You both look so happy! Congrats!

Congratulations!! I’m so happy for you!
I actually also said “are you serious?” when my husband proposed! So romantic huh? 🙂

OMG!!! Congrats! So happy for you! Can’t wait to hear about the wedding planning!

Congratulations!

Jillian Chance says: December 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Congratulations!!!!! So exciting! You two are the cutest 🙂

Yay! Congrats!

Congratulations, both of you 🙂 That’s exciting. A new adventure ahead!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Congratulations!! I’ve been following your blog for a while (super inspiring – my husband and I just ran our first half a few weeks ago, and you seriously pushed me through the last few tough weeks of training) and catching up on your life (is that creepy?), and I can’t tell you how excited this news made me. I’m SO happy for you!
Also, “Are you serious!?” is what I said when my husband proposed, too. 🙂 Our one year anniversary is coming up in January!
CONGRATULATIONS!

CONGRATS to the two coolest people that I don’t even know!! (That sounded better in my head). Anyway, can’t wait to read the details!

😀

I figured if he put up with your year-of-flaring-up he was probably in it for the long haul. Glad he agrees.

Congratulations! 🙂

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. So excited for you!! How beautiful, wishing you two all the best! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

I saw the picture on top and was like yay!! Congrats!

Ah!! Congratulations!!! So excited for you guys! =)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve followed your blog for while and love your writing and profound grace under pressure. You deserve much happiness, Big congratulations to you and Brian!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! so happy for you!!!!! I somehow had a feeling this would happen on your trip. just an inkling 😉 so so so flipping excited for you!! congrats, and well done Brian 🙂

!!!!!!!!! congratulations!

there will be details, right? like, when is the wedding? will you wear running shoes like in father of the bride?

also, if i don’t know you in real life, would it be weird and stalkerish to stop you and ask to see the ring next time i see you running in the park? (answer: probably)

Slightly ridiculous how giddy this makes me given that I don’t know you in real life!!! And pretty sure my reaction would be exactly like yours! Congrats Brian and Ali!

OMG! x 1 million!!!! I’ve been reading your blog for such a long time and I am SO happy for you both!!!!

Congratulations!! I’ve been following your blog for awhile now and am so happy for you!

I also told my boyfriend (now husband)’to shut up, repeatedly during our proposal

Do you think he was planning on asking last May 2013 and had to delay his plans?

CONGRATULATIONS!! That first photo is amazing. And yes of course we want to hear more details. 🙂

Congrats!!!!!!!

Fruityrunner says: December 9, 2014 at 2:48 am

CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Congrats!!!
The first thing I said was you’re such an @$$ (he asked me in front of a huge audience) so you’re not too far off

Oh my goodness! I’m so excited for you!

Oh, how amazing!!!!

So happy for you both, congratulations!

Ooooh WOW!!!! Congrats!! I know I just read your blog and don’t know you IRL but I’m so happy for you!!

That is so awesome!!! Congrats to you two 🙂

Congrats! I saw your tweet yesterday about champagne and just thought you were enjoying vacation. Then while working out this morning I had a serious freak out of “OMG – Champagne means she’s engaged!!” I’ve never been so excited about a stranger’s engagement before, but I RUSHED home to check the blog and here it is!! YAYAYYAYA!!

Woohoo! Congrats!!! 🙂 So happy for you! Long time blog reader here 🙂

lisa@exercise eat repeat says: December 9, 2014 at 11:16 am

Congratulations, i am sooooo happy for you. that is amzing and fantastic news. I started reading your blog when you told everyone that you had a boyfriend called Brian. Congratulations. it is a wonderful time so enjoy every moment. 🙂

This is amazing news. Congratulations! That sunrise is breathtaking. What a perfect moment.

Congratulations! So excited for you guys and for US to follow along as you plan your kick ass wedding!

OMG!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! And what a perfect place to propose! Well planned by your new fiancee. I tip my running hat to him! He’s a keeper! 🙂

Long time listener, first time caller…CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an awesome picture, GoPro for the win indeed!!

HIPHIP Congrats to you both!

ahhh this is amazing!!! i can’t think of any more perfect way for a runner fit chick to get engaged than in Hawaii, on a hike, in workout clothes. i’d die of happiness as well. CONGRATS!! so so thrilled for you two!

Congratulations! After reading about some of your most extreme lows (and crossing my fingers for you that there was a light at the end of the tunnel), I am most excited to read about this extreme high (as well as some of your other recent accomplishments)! This enjoyment is well deserved and thank you for sharing it all with us– the good, the bad, the ugly, the wonderful. I am excited to hear all about your upcoming nuptuals!

Congratulations!!! I’m a long time follower and reader…and yeah like someone else said, not surprised. If he has stayed with you through thick and thin he loves you and he’s a keeper!

Leigh-Anne says: December 9, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Congratulations! How exciting.

Aww, this makes me very happy for you! I started reading your blog right around the time you met Brian so I feel like I have been there the entire way. Congratulations!

hahaha the first thing I said when my fiance proposed was “SHUT THE FUCK UP” – classyyyy laddyyy. Congratulations to you two! <3

AHHHH!!!!!! Congrats!

Congratulations! What a magical place to get engaged! He is definitely a keeper!

Charlotte says: December 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Congrats!!!!!
I’m so excited for you! Even though we never met, so that’s not weird. But seriously, you guys seem great together, and I hope you’ll have a lifetime full of happiness 🙂

This post made my day! I’m so happy for you two. Congratulations and enjoy the rest of your holiday!!!!! xoxoxo

Congratulations! I love that it was captured on the GoPro! How awesome!!!

Omg that is beyond exciting I am so excited for you. Happiness in Hawaii for sure

Ahhh!! Congratulations!!!

Elizabeth says: December 9, 2014 at 8:40 pm

YAY!!

I love that this is tagged “happy things” because… duh!!

Congratulations Ali & Brian!

This seriously made my day! I was kind of hoping it might happen so yippeeee. Congratulations to you and Brian!!!

Congrats.. Really really happy for you.
Fantastic news.

Seems like many of us were hoping this would happen on your amazing trip. Glad Brian agreed. 😉 Congrats!!

OMG OMG!!!!! This is AMAZINGGG!!! Congratulations to you both, all the best now and always! xo

Congratulations! As a newly engaged lady myself, I know the feeling… you will hold it in your heart forever.

AND THAT PHOTO!?!? Could not be more perfect. xo

Ali!! This is so amazing!! I cant wait to see you at NP and hug the crap out of you!! Congrat to you and your future hubby!!

YAY! I literally said that outloud when I got my email alert and saw this post! I don’t know you, but I feel like we are friends and I always wondered when this would happen! Congrats, er best wishes… and enjoy! thank you for sharing the moment with us!

That is Shut the Front Door fabulous!!! Congrats to you both!

AHHHH! CONGRATULATIONS! And in such a beautiful place!!

For what it’s worth, the first thing I said was, “Are you serious?!?!” and I’m still not living that down…

ENJOY YOUR TIME ON CLOUD 9!

Awww! Many congratulations!

Congratulatios Ali and Brian. May you live happily ever after!!!

Congratulations!!!! What wonderful news. I was thinking it was getting to be time for him to pop the question!

So, ah, the Electric Slide still forbidden, then? Because I feel like dancing!

Congratulations.

YAY! Congrats! So happy for you 🙂

Ali – I have been reading your blog for several years now and remember when you first “introduced” us to Brian. I loved reading this post! CONGRATS to you! 🙂 Here’s to a happy and HEALTHY 2015!

Hey, congrats runner lady! You would think you might have a better initial reaction than “shut the F** up!” But hey, I’m sure he expected that 🙂 Cheers! Tony

Congratulations!!!

Ahh I’m late, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Been reading for awhile now, but first time commenting! 🙂