- Just listened to @LindseyHein I'll Have Another Podcast for 1st time. Lindsey, be my bestie? Thanks for making the miles fly this morning!! 08:51:20 AM May 28, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Friday! Love, Ellie https://t.co/SpEGkpuhbN 05:51:22 PM May 27, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Happy FRIDAY (With Ellie)! https://t.co/SpEGkpLS3l 07:02:32 AM May 27, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- May 27, 2016 by AliFridays With Ellie: Road-Tripping, Swimming, & Race Spectating!
- May 25, 2016 by AliCelebrating Two Years With November Project
- May 22, 2016 by Ali2016 Airbnb Brooklyn Half Recap
- May 20, 2016 by AliSee You In Brooklyn
- May 10, 2016 by AliAli Lately
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
I wrote this post last night when I was feeling far more optimistic than I am today. But rather than ditch the feelings of positivity and succumbing to my inner pissed-offed-ness, we’re going with it…
There are billions of different types of people in this world.
Today, I am here to discuss four of them.
OK, really only one of them. But first, let’s address the four types of people I’m pondering:
- Those who blame others for their problems.
- Those who blame themselves for their problems.
- Those who assess each situation and then place blame — either on others or on themselves — accordingly and appropriately.
- Those who do not concern themselves with thoughts of “blame” and instead merely acknowledge their problems, find solutions for them and move forward. These people are the world’s freaks of level-headed nature. Try as we may, some of us simply cannot understand the maturity of this Person Type #4.
For most of my life, I was Blame Person #2, as identified above. This person is also known as “The One Who Is Too Hard On Herself.”
I always saw myself as the root of any problem, in many cases simply because I loathe the thought of ever blaming someone else for my issues.
So when my stomach got really bad this week — yeah, Crohn’s bad — and I started thinking (OK, knowing) I was on the outer brink of a Crohn’s flare-up, my mind immediately went to myself.
What did I do wrong?
Which “bad” foods did I eat?
Why did I let this happen?
But as I laid in bed Sunday night pondering my little worries, I convinced myself to calm the crazy.
First, I am not 100% positive I’m experiencing a flare-up. I’m only like 99.6% sure, and that leaves, you know, a big margin for error. I have some very, very clear indications telling me this is a flare and I have spent the past two days feeling absolutely awful and trying to stay calm about it. But regardless of the obvious symptoms, I’m not going to fully diagnose this little setback myself. I’ll let Dreamy Dr. Shah do that this afternoon when I see him.
Secondly — and more importantly — I didn’t bring this on myself. I know I didn’t. So the self hate shit just had to come to an abrupt halt before it really started.
I haven’t necessarily been eating a balanced, healthy diet, but I continue to avoid my trigger foods. Corn-covered-fried chicken, get out of my face.
My workouts have been less frequent and far less intense than they’ve been in years, and my stress level has been shockingly under control since the holidays passed.
Work is busy. Work will always be busy. I love that it’s busy. And it’s nothing I can’t handle.
I may not get exactly eight hours of sleep every night, but I’m hardly pulling all-nighters.
My life feels like it’s in good order — so why the digestive insanity?
I don’t know.
And I won’t concern myself with placing blame. I’m being Person #4.
Instead of pointing fingers at myself, at the people who make me crazy or at the sly piece of corn that could have snuck its way into my lunch salad, I will stay calm.
In fact, I’m weirdly chill about this right now considering I leave for vacation next week and I really do not want to be sick for that.
Again, I’m trying to learn from the mistakes I made last year. Freaking out and being crazy about a flare-up isn’t going to help anyone. It probably makes my body react in a harsher way and it pushes away the people I care about so deeply.
Maybe I’m in denial. Maybe, despite the psychotic bathroom runs, crazy pain and other ugly symptoms we’re not going to talk about this time around, I’ve just learned to be OK with this inconveniently unpredictable disease. Maybe I can take it in stride and just see what happens.
So don’t look for me on the Bridle Path this week, and you lucky wait-listers can have all my spin bikes. I’ll be doing my best to make it from my bed to the office and back.
I refuse to think that I’m having a true flare-up this early in 2013. And hey, if I am, I can handle it. I can handle anything…ish. I’m staying wildly optimistic about all this and I’m so glad I remembered to be thankful for my health every day for the past five (!!!) months.
So bring it, Crohn’s.
No, ew, I’m kidding.
Please don’t “bring it.”
Please stay away.
But just…I don’t know…let’s try to get along a little better this year, OK?
JUST BECAUSE I’M CURIOUS: Which person are you? Judgment-free zone here, as you know. But do you prefer to place blame, avoid blame or just be nasty to yourself because you’re crazy and it’s easier?