Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- "Finally, I said ENOUGH. I put a hard stop on the fat talk, the body obsession, and the constant… https://t.co/phNjeOQQck about 16 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This just in over at @WellandGoodNYC: @RidePeloton teams up with @Westin! Dream team! https://t.co/LZYYbMCzIL 10:41:44 PM April 25, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- "Last year, I hit my breaking point. I realized I was so happy — except that I wasn't. I was a… https://t.co/li7qCFo8r7 09:18:49 AM April 25, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it! https://t.co/oVxuXxiORj 09:00:16 AM April 25, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- April 25, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 22: How I Finally Got Over My Body Issues
- April 24, 2017 by AliStevens Cooperative School 5K Recap
- April 19, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 21: Brynn Fessette O'Neill, Physical Therapist at Finish Line Physical Therapy
- April 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 20: Stop Waiting
- April 13, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 19: Michele Gonzalez AKA NYC Running Mama
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Thankful Things Thursday: The Little Things
Do you know what’s great about this week?
I exaggerate. But only slightly.
This week has dragged on and has felt never-ending, but it’s also been one of the most productive weeks I’ve had in a long time. When things are rolling along nicely, it’s easy to think about all the good stuff in the world. With that, let’s embark on another celebration of Thankful Things Thursday!
I’m thankful for the daily photos Michaela (my sister-in-law) sends me every morning. I know that by 7 AM, I’ll have a brand-new photo of Tyler chillin’ on my phone. And the photos always come with great captions, so it’s nice to know that even on the worst days, I will at least wake up smiling. A few recent favorites:
I’m thankful I’m recovered from last weekend’s bike crash. I’ve got some lingering bruises and road rash, but the soreness, nausea, headaches and overall feelings of pain have diminished.
I’m thankful for a great week at work. You know how sometimes, no matter how great your job is and no matter how much you like the people you work with, work life just sucks? This week is not that week. And that’s a fantastic thing. Highlights of the week have included celebrating our newest issue (click the link, read the cover stories, carefully crafted with lots of passion by yours truly), kicking off the new year…
…and getting feedback on it from the Most Important Person In The Dance World.
I’ve also gotten great feedback this week from my boss and another higher-up at the company. It feels good, kids. It feels good.
I’m thankful for my newly-acquired knife skills. I know I wrote about it already, but that class was so good and, dare I say, life changing? Look at what I did the other night:
Oh, you have no idea what that is? Food bloggers, help meeeeeee, I don’t know how to take good pictures of my creations.
On Monday night, I made soup. Broccoli cheddar soup, to be very specific. This soup, to be exact. And I added carrots because I’m a Cooking Wizard With Great Ideas.
The soup was awesome for several reasons:
- The ingredients were cheap.
- I got to use my skills. When you’re a Knife Expert, such as myself, you can be more efficient in the kitchen and things don’t take nearly as long to prep.
- The recipe made enough for two night’s worth of meals. Plus a little extra snack-sized portion.
- It tasted really good. Probably because of the cheese.
I would also like to add that I have now taken a knife skills class and utilized my learnings in real life, and I’ve emerged unscathed, unharmed and uncut.
I’m thankful I’m done with that dumb New Year’s Resolution to “cook something new once every month.” When I made that soup on Monday, I didn’t even realize I was playing Master Chef and whipping up a new creation until later that night. Stupid Resolution complete!
I’m thankful I’ve seen my best friend more times this year than we had in the previous five years combined. I think. I’m not good with math and I’m also not so great at remembering things. But Becky and I traveled between New Hampshire, North Carolina and New York City this year all in the name of long-distance friendship.
Becky visited this weekend with her husband (he had never been to NYC!) and we got lots of quality time together. She laughs at every single one of my jokes and that’s not the only reason I love her so much, but it does count for something.
I’m thankful my Christmas shopping is mostly complete. It was easy this year because my family instated a spending limit. It basically allowed for me to purchase one gift per family member, and we have a small family and I did all the purchasing online. So now my apartment looks like this every day when I come home:
Now I just have to wrap all this crap. I hate gift wrapping. I think it’s my least favorite annual activity. Also I’m terrible at it. And I’m not just “kind of sloppy,” I’m horrid. Tragic, even. I’m a perfectionist in so many ways, and gift wrapping is simply not one of them. Screw it.
I’m thankful for my beautiful new keyboard. Several months ago I asked for a new keyboard at work. Mine was filthy from whoever had it before me, and the keys got stuck because I’m pretty sure the previous keyboard owner liked to eat honey at his or her desk and let it slowly drip onto the keys and into the board’s guts.
Finally, after months of very kind pleading with the IT department, I finally got a shiny, clicky new keyboard.
It does not take much to please me, people.
But most of all, at the end of the day…
I’m thankful for this:
Thank you, Lauren, for that.
That’s all I’ve got today, everyone. There are times when I’m thankful for all that sappy, big-picture stuff like my health and my family and my still-somehow-attached black toenail. But today isn’t one of those days. Today is a day to appreciate the tiny things in life that bring me joy. So there you have ’em.
WHAT LITTLE THINGS ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR TODAY? Ice cream is not a little thing, FYI, because it should only be served in massively large portions. Examples of “the little things in life” are compliments from kind people, thumbtacks, scissors that brilliantly cut through big stretches of wrapping paper and colored printers with fully-stocked ink. Now that you know, go to it. It’s fun.