- Happy Anniversary, @brian_cristiano. Thanks for showing me the world and making even my wildest… https://t.co/qr9kDgbTJI about 12 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I refer to a lot of days as the Best Day Ever: my first marathon, my first New York City… https://t.co/RUIhmnowln about 23 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I refer to a lot of days as the Best Day Ever: my first marathon, my first New York City… https://t.co/G7Ekx5bCSE about 23 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Hated saying goodbye to my best girl but happy to report that I am [fully doped up on Imodium… https://t.co/f2pFkxFxl6 05:32:55 PM September 25, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- September 24, 2016 by AliA Letter To My Body
- September 21, 2016 by AliI Had My Wisdom Teeth Removed!
- September 19, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 9
- September 15, 2016 by AliThankful Things Thursday: Six Happy Things (Including A PRO Compression Giveaway!)
- September 12, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 8
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Thankful Things Thursday: The Little Things
Do you know what’s great about this week?
I exaggerate. But only slightly.
This week has dragged on and has felt never-ending, but it’s also been one of the most productive weeks I’ve had in a long time. When things are rolling along nicely, it’s easy to think about all the good stuff in the world. With that, let’s embark on another celebration of Thankful Things Thursday!
I’m thankful for the daily photos Michaela (my sister-in-law) sends me every morning. I know that by 7 AM, I’ll have a brand-new photo of Tyler chillin’ on my phone. And the photos always come with great captions, so it’s nice to know that even on the worst days, I will at least wake up smiling. A few recent favorites:
I’m thankful I’m recovered from last weekend’s bike crash. I’ve got some lingering bruises and road rash, but the soreness, nausea, headaches and overall feelings of pain have diminished.
I’m thankful for a great week at work. You know how sometimes, no matter how great your job is and no matter how much you like the people you work with, work life just sucks? This week is not that week. And that’s a fantastic thing. Highlights of the week have included celebrating our newest issue (click the link, read the cover stories, carefully crafted with lots of passion by yours truly), kicking off the new year…
…and getting feedback on it from the Most Important Person In The Dance World.
I’ve also gotten great feedback this week from my boss and another higher-up at the company. It feels good, kids. It feels good.
I’m thankful for my newly-acquired knife skills. I know I wrote about it already, but that class was so good and, dare I say, life changing? Look at what I did the other night:
Oh, you have no idea what that is? Food bloggers, help meeeeeee, I don’t know how to take good pictures of my creations.
On Monday night, I made soup. Broccoli cheddar soup, to be very specific. This soup, to be exact. And I added carrots because I’m a Cooking Wizard With Great Ideas.
The soup was awesome for several reasons:
- The ingredients were cheap.
- I got to use my skills. When you’re a Knife Expert, such as myself, you can be more efficient in the kitchen and things don’t take nearly as long to prep.
- The recipe made enough for two night’s worth of meals. Plus a little extra snack-sized portion.
- It tasted really good. Probably because of the cheese.
I would also like to add that I have now taken a knife skills class and utilized my learnings in real life, and I’ve emerged unscathed, unharmed and uncut.
I’m thankful I’m done with that dumb New Year’s Resolution to “cook something new once every month.” When I made that soup on Monday, I didn’t even realize I was playing Master Chef and whipping up a new creation until later that night. Stupid Resolution complete!
I’m thankful I’ve seen my best friend more times this year than we had in the previous five years combined. I think. I’m not good with math and I’m also not so great at remembering things. But Becky and I traveled between New Hampshire, North Carolina and New York City this year all in the name of long-distance friendship.
Becky visited this weekend with her husband (he had never been to NYC!) and we got lots of quality time together. She laughs at every single one of my jokes and that’s not the only reason I love her so much, but it does count for something.
I’m thankful my Christmas shopping is mostly complete. It was easy this year because my family instated a spending limit. It basically allowed for me to purchase one gift per family member, and we have a small family and I did all the purchasing online. So now my apartment looks like this every day when I come home:
Now I just have to wrap all this crap. I hate gift wrapping. I think it’s my least favorite annual activity. Also I’m terrible at it. And I’m not just “kind of sloppy,” I’m horrid. Tragic, even. I’m a perfectionist in so many ways, and gift wrapping is simply not one of them. Screw it.
I’m thankful for my beautiful new keyboard. Several months ago I asked for a new keyboard at work. Mine was filthy from whoever had it before me, and the keys got stuck because I’m pretty sure the previous keyboard owner liked to eat honey at his or her desk and let it slowly drip onto the keys and into the board’s guts.
Finally, after months of very kind pleading with the IT department, I finally got a shiny, clicky new keyboard.
It does not take much to please me, people.
But most of all, at the end of the day…
I’m thankful for this:
Thank you, Lauren, for that.
That’s all I’ve got today, everyone. There are times when I’m thankful for all that sappy, big-picture stuff like my health and my family and my still-somehow-attached black toenail. But today isn’t one of those days. Today is a day to appreciate the tiny things in life that bring me joy. So there you have ’em.
WHAT LITTLE THINGS ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR TODAY? Ice cream is not a little thing, FYI, because it should only be served in massively large portions. Examples of “the little things in life” are compliments from kind people, thumbtacks, scissors that brilliantly cut through big stretches of wrapping paper and colored printers with fully-stocked ink. Now that you know, go to it. It’s fun.