Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Sending love to NYC. <3 about 54 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Running this weekend? Take @Abby_NYC & me with you! You'll learn! You'll laugh! You'll get stronger & faster! https://t.co/QMPaYNzT18 07:43:24 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Also Karla Johnson, Karen Hildebrand, & Kate Lydon — the three women who believed a 25-year-old could become an edi… https://t.co/B62UZNv5qj 05:12:52 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- LOVE THIS. @BariLieberman for assigning me my first major mag byline, @rjacoby13 for graciously making magical conn… https://t.co/IrC5uIqCO0 05:10:51 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 6, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 49: Abby Bales, Founder of Reform Physical Therapy
- December 4, 2017 by AliMaking It Count
- November 29, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 48: Sally Bergesen, CEO & Founder of Oiselle
- November 22, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 47: Brian Cristiano's Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 46: Allie Kieffer
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Loving Not Running
First most important thing: Today is the last day to order I Heart Sweat shirts in order to ensure delivery by Christmas morning. So if you’re thinking the perfect present for your aunt, uncle, cousin, sister, brother or Jewish step-cousin is a sweat-loving piece of Dry-Fit, I suggest you get on it. Click here to place your order. Have a blast.
There are still plenty of size and color options left for men and women. But remember: You snooze…
Unless you’re Tyler. Tyler never loses.
In other news, Zero Week is going great. As much as I always preach about loving running, right now I’m here to preach about loving not running.
I realize it’s only been three days out of the Brooks and away from the Bridle, but so far so good. For the most part, I haven’t missed running or craved it or been dying to get out there.
I attribute my enjoyment of this week so far to the fact that I very clearly needed this mileage hiatus.
Not running on Monday was easy. It was my first mile-less day in a while and I knew I wanted it and needed it.
Not running on Tuesday was easy, too, even when I read this from my friends in midtown:
Then Wednesday arrived. I was tired this morning, but I was signed up for a spin class. It was one of the toughest classes I’ve ever taken. I pranced out of the spin room (prance is a strong word — “limped and whined and dripped pools of sweat everywhere on my way out” is a more accurate description) thinking that was way more fun than running in the cold.
My first “I miss running a tiny bit” twinge came soon thereafter, though, when I read this Tweet:
For a split second I was like, “ME, DEANNA! ME! I WILL RUN 12 MILES TODAY!”
But I got over it pretty fast.
I know 12.12.12 will never happen again in my lifetime.
I also know that this break is so good for me right now, and it’s going to be so good for me in the days, weeks and months of running to come.
I may not run on this oh-so-special numerical day.
I may also opt out of signing up for the billions of races that are offering deals today…
…but I’ll sign up when I’m ready. And I’m just not ready yet.
I’m liking this.
BUT I KNOW YOU’RE STILL OUT THERE RUNNING AND RACING: Are you signing up for anything today? It seems like everyone is offering a deal here, a sale there, a giveaway and a puppy. No, just kidding. I would definitely enter a puppy giveaway. But really, tell me: Have you committed to any late winter or spring races?