Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- "Yeah, you can think I got this role ‘because I’m a girl.’ But the reality is it’s because I’m a girl who’s been wo… https://t.co/H7YHL1Uxan about 1 hour ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- "Define what success looks like for you. You'll have a voice in your head that questions everything—you can’t focus… https://t.co/tlAy2IqTfJ about 6 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- April 25, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 70: Katie Burke, Chief People Officer at HubSpot
- April 24, 2018 by AliBaby on the Run: Week 13
- April 18, 2018 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 69: Sarah Sellers, 2nd Female at the 2018 Boston Marathon
- April 18, 2018 by AliBaby on the Run: Week 12
- April 17, 2018 by AliBoston Marathon Inspiration & The Women I Admire
Thankful Things Thursday: For The People I Love
Hello, and welcome to Sappyville, USA.
I couldn’t decide if I wanted to name it Sappyville or Saptown.
Either way, I’m feeling sappy this morning (sappy doesn’t sound like a word anymore!), which makes celebrating Thankful Things Thursday pretty easy and simple.
Today I’ll keep it brief: I’m thankful for all the people in my life.
I’m thankful for my family.
I’m lucky: I have two parents who don’t live too far away and a brother and sister-in-law who are about to have a baby. Well, she’s having the baby. Ryan will likely be passed out in the corner of the room while Michaela does the work. My family doesn’t do so well with hospitals and blood and stuff.
I’m thankful for my friends. Friends I’ve known since we were models for Limited Too (yup, that happened) and who are about to get married…
…and friends who spent four years throwing back Franzia and ordering pizza for me at 4 AM.
I’m thankful for the people I’ve met in the past year.
The people who have shaped me as a runner…
…and the people who have made me laugh constantly along the way.
There are people I’ve only met in person a few times, and who I’m trying desperately to convince to move to New York…
…and there are people who agree to run with me at 5 AM, “before it gets too hot,” and who have supported me more than I ever expected as I do weird things like raise money and run marathons and play trivia.
I’m thankful for Brian, who has seen me at my best…
…and at my very worst (stomach flu + Crohn’s + a small studio apartment = bringing the relationship closer than ever), and continues to date me and live with me. I think he’s a keeper.
Most of all, I’m thankful that I tell these people how much I love them every single day. I find comfort in knowing that each day, these people can go to bed knowing that Ali On The Run — none of them actually call me that, because it’s so formal and stuff — loves them and cares about them. I pretty much doubt that last night each of my friends and family members went to bed thinking, “Wheeeeee Ali loves meeeeeeee! Goodnight!” but you never know.
When sad things happen, people always remind you to “tell the people you love that you care about them every day.”
So yeah. Do that. Do it today, and then again tomorrow. Don’t leave people guessing.
And call me maybe.
YOUR TURN: What are you thankful for today?