Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I just felt like running! I don’t think that pace is quite accurate, and I made a handful of bathroom stops, plus… https://t.co/50UduIDrye 11:12:19 AM September 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This picture is from the summer of 2013. I was SO sick that summer. It was the hardest summer of my life. My Crohn’… https://t.co/LhMEKhc3WX 08:06:56 PM September 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- September 18, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 174: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Ali on the Run Show
- September 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 173: You Can Run a Marathon with Dawn Grunnagle
- September 11, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 172: Amanda Nurse, Elite Marathoner for adidas
- September 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 171: You Can Run a Marathon with Molly Bookmyer
- September 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 170: LIVE at NYRR RunnerCon with Nikki Hiltz & Allie Ostrander
I Am Alive!
Guess what I did today?
- I took a shower.
- I put on makeup.
- I blow-dried my hair.
- I went to work. In yoga pants, but still. I think it counts.
I’m striving for a return to normalcy today, even though I don’t feel like I’m quite there yet.
I’m getting better though! I haven’t had a fever in 24 hours, and while I’d love to be all, “I rested and I hydrated and took care of myself, yo, and I totally overcame this stomach flu by being an amazing human,” we all know that’s not the case. I personally didn’t “beat” anything. But I did make the very wise decision to go to the doctor yesterday, and so let’s talk about that, because Dr. Urgent Care Center gets all the credit here.
After the worst night ever on Monday, I figured my feelings weren’t really normal. It took about three hours to get moving, but I finally dragged myself out of bed and made my way to an urgent care center/walk-in clinic near my apartment. I had never been before, and it was pretty amazing. The doctor saw me right away and checked me out.
He asked me all about my symptoms, which was fun because we got to talk about my extreme sexiness in great detail. Dr. Clinic said I have gastroenteritis. Google tells me that is a fancy word for “stomach flu.”
He told me to open my mouth, and then he said, “Wow, very dry.” Yay! Except that’s not a good thing.
The nurse man wheeled in a giant pole and a syringe and things, and I got hooked up to an IV that pumped me full of fluids and electrolytes and miracle cures.
I was there for two hours, because after I finished the first bag of juice, the doctor said, “We should probably give you another one.”
I left the doctor’s office feeling slightly better and far more optimistic. I ate a few bites of food last night and didn’t throw them up, so again, improvement!
Also huge: I slept through the night last night! I drank half a Gatorade before bed — my first one ever! — and even though I still felt nauseous this morning, it was nice not to actually throw up at all.
Within 20 minutes of waking up today, things weren’t great again, and I spent a good while in my second (first, really) home, the bathroom. My stomach still isn’t fully happy, apparently. I don’t think exercise is in the cards today, and I’m not planning to stay at the office for a full day. I’m still feeling really weak and exhausted and there’s still plenty of bathroom action happening. But it was nice to get some fresh air this morning and it’ll be nice to be around people again for a few hours today.
That’s all for now. There’s far too much work to be done!
Have a great day, everyone. Stay healthy!