Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- 1:47:32! Could've done without the bathroom stop at mile 9, but it was necessary. Great day for… https://t.co/MIcV3878Dv about 3 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ready to run the @njmarathon Half! (Actually after the best running week ever last week, this… https://t.co/BWNmgMlFIG about 23 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Running this weekend? Take @HealthontheRun & me with you! We have a lot to say... https://t.co/0KhRgraJd1 #podcast #trypod 08:46:39 AM April 29, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- April 27, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 23: Lauren Conkey, 3:18 Marathoner, Mother & Public Health Advocate
- April 25, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 22: How I Finally Got Over My Body Issues
- April 24, 2017 by AliStevens Cooperative School 5K Recap
- April 19, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 21: Brynn Fessette O'Neill, Physical Therapist at Finish Line Physical Therapy
- April 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 20: Stop Waiting
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Thankful Things Thursday: I Am Moving To L.A.
Yup. I’m in L.A. and I love it and I want to be here forever. There are palm trees everywhere. This could be my home.
OK maybe I’m not moving here just yet. I’m not sure my employer would be cool with the whole, “I’m going to work remotely from the beach and also never check emails and be totally unavailable because I’m busy getting a tan” thing. I haven’t asked yet though, so I’m not sure.
But let’s get down to business, and today’s order of business is being thankful. Why yes, it’s another edition of Thankful Things Thursday.
Off we go!
I’m thankful that science — yes, science — proves that Thankful Things Thursday is, in fact, crucial for our health.
Honestly, taking a bit of time just once a week really does improve my mood, if only temporarily. Sometimes I wake up on a Thursday morning and I’m a complete raging bitch. Then I think about happy things, like puppies and candy and glitter, and suddenly my world is OK again. Try it.
I’m thankful for sunshine. Los Angeles isn’t particularly warm this week, but it’s still sunny, and for that I am deeply appreciative. I hear what’s happening back east isn’t so pleasant. Suckers.
I really shouldn’t say “suckers” though, because I’ve been inside nonstop for the past two days. Meh. It’s cool. It’s fun.
I’m thankful I get to travel. I like L.A. a lot. Have I mentioned that yet? And I’ve been here three times, all of which were for work reasons. I’m not sure I would be here otherwise, and I appreciate the opportunity.
I’m thankful traveling hasn’t gotten in the way of my big, fancy running plans. Why yes, I’m still training just fine while on the road. It’s on the treadmill though. Gross.
Yesterday I had to run five slow miles, and I did it on the ol’ ‘mill (what? the treadmill, that’s what I meant) and it was fine. Boring, but fine. I watched an episode of Full House. This morning it was back to some speedwork, which I looooooved. That’s right, I loved it! The workout:
- 1 mile warm-up
- 4 x 1 mile (that means run one mile, four times, in other words “run four miles”) at half marathon pace with 1/4 mile recovery at 10:00 pace in between miles
- 1 mile cool-down
I got ambitious. Instead of my “safe” half marathon goal pace (7:45–7:50), I went with my slightly more ambitious goal pace, which is 7:30. Oh and guess what? I did it. I know, it’s not outside and maybe it’s not real running, fine, but it still happened and I felt sweaty and amazing. (Edited to add: I know treadmill running is REAL running, and I’m totally not discrediting those of you who train on treadmills. Power to you. Speed just seems easier to me on a treadmill than outside, so I never think of it as “real” — when I go fast on the treadmill I always feel like it’s a fluke or I got lucky or something!) Nailed it.
And tomorrow, I rest.
I’m thankful for room service. Yeah, I haven’t had a restaurant meal since we got here. Pathetic, I know. The time change is managing to kick my butt, and by the time we wrapped yesterday I was totally shot. So I ordered some fish tacos and a piece of chocolate cake and ate it under the covers, in my pajamas.
I’m thankful for orzo salad. I had some when we first arrived in L.A. and it was a delightful snack.
I’m thankful for stuffed animals. They’re comforting, don’t you think? I’m convinced that have real feelings. Yes, I’m a real-life grown-up.
Today is busy so I must go, but won’t you please be kind to your health today? You know what I mean…
TELL ME WHAT YOU’RE THANKFUL FOR TODAY! Don’t be embarrassed if you, too, are thankful for stuffed animals. That’s normal and mature.