Follow Me - AliOnTheRun1
- Happy Anniversary to us, NYC. I love you forever, even if you are a loud, filthy, scary asshole sometimes. 12:51:48 PM December 06, 2013
- Six years ago, I moved to New York City. I drove through a snowstorm to get here, didn't have a bed & my roommates were total strangers. <3 12:51:05 PM December 06, 2013
- You need someone older and wiser, telling you what to dooooooo. #chivalry 10:41:19 AM December 06, 2013
- Important clarification: I have NOT YET WATCHED the Season 4 finale. That's up next. 10:37:08 AM December 06, 2013
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Thankful Things Thursday: I Am Moving To L.A.
Yup. I’m in L.A. and I love it and I want to be here forever. There are palm trees everywhere. This could be my home.
OK maybe I’m not moving here just yet. I’m not sure my employer would be cool with the whole, “I’m going to work remotely from the beach and also never check emails and be totally unavailable because I’m busy getting a tan” thing. I haven’t asked yet though, so I’m not sure.
But let’s get down to business, and today’s order of business is being thankful. Why yes, it’s another edition of Thankful Things Thursday.
Off we go!
I’m thankful that science — yes, science — proves that Thankful Things Thursday is, in fact, crucial for our health.
Honestly, taking a bit of time just once a week really does improve my mood, if only temporarily. Sometimes I wake up on a Thursday morning and I’m a complete raging bitch. Then I think about happy things, like puppies and candy and glitter, and suddenly my world is OK again. Try it.
I’m thankful for sunshine. Los Angeles isn’t particularly warm this week, but it’s still sunny, and for that I am deeply appreciative. I hear what’s happening back east isn’t so pleasant. Suckers.
I really shouldn’t say “suckers” though, because I’ve been inside nonstop for the past two days. Meh. It’s cool. It’s fun.
I’m thankful I get to travel. I like L.A. a lot. Have I mentioned that yet? And I’ve been here three times, all of which were for work reasons. I’m not sure I would be here otherwise, and I appreciate the opportunity.
I’m thankful traveling hasn’t gotten in the way of my big, fancy running plans. Why yes, I’m still training just fine while on the road. It’s on the treadmill though. Gross.
Yesterday I had to run five slow miles, and I did it on the ol’ ‘mill (what? the treadmill, that’s what I meant) and it was fine. Boring, but fine. I watched an episode of Full House. This morning it was back to some speedwork, which I looooooved. That’s right, I loved it! The workout:
- 1 mile warm-up
- 4 x 1 mile (that means run one mile, four times, in other words “run four miles”) at half marathon pace with 1/4 mile recovery at 10:00 pace in between miles
- 1 mile cool-down
I got ambitious. Instead of my “safe” half marathon goal pace (7:45–7:50), I went with my slightly more ambitious goal pace, which is 7:30. Oh and guess what? I did it. I know, it’s not outside and maybe it’s not real running, fine, but it still happened and I felt sweaty and amazing. (Edited to add: I know treadmill running is REAL running, and I’m totally not discrediting those of you who train on treadmills. Power to you. Speed just seems easier to me on a treadmill than outside, so I never think of it as “real” — when I go fast on the treadmill I always feel like it’s a fluke or I got lucky or something!) Nailed it.
And tomorrow, I rest.
I’m thankful for room service. Yeah, I haven’t had a restaurant meal since we got here. Pathetic, I know. The time change is managing to kick my butt, and by the time we wrapped yesterday I was totally shot. So I ordered some fish tacos and a piece of chocolate cake and ate it under the covers, in my pajamas.
I’m thankful for orzo salad. I had some when we first arrived in L.A. and it was a delightful snack.
I’m thankful for stuffed animals. They’re comforting, don’t you think? I’m convinced that have real feelings. Yes, I’m a real-life grown-up.
Today is busy so I must go, but won’t you please be kind to your health today? You know what I mean…
TELL ME WHAT YOU’RE THANKFUL FOR TODAY! Don’t be embarrassed if you, too, are thankful for stuffed animals. That’s normal and mature.