- An American [eating a Nutella crepe] in Paris. @ Tour Eiffel https://t.co/5ivwyFw2yc about 4 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: A letter to my angry body. https://t.co/DkeqB3vIZu about 13 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Anniversary, @brian_cristiano. Thanks for showing me the world and making even my wildest… https://t.co/qr9kDgbTJI 07:28:50 PM September 26, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I refer to a lot of days as the Best Day Ever: my first marathon, my first New York City… https://t.co/RUIhmnowln 09:04:17 AM September 26, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- September 24, 2016 by AliA Letter To My Body
- September 21, 2016 by AliI Had My Wisdom Teeth Removed!
- September 19, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 9
- September 15, 2016 by AliThankful Things Thursday: Six Happy Things (Including A PRO Compression Giveaway!)
- September 12, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 8
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
My Friends Make Me Feel Festive
You know what’s important in life?
Also, and maybe most importantly, great friends.
Even better? Great friends with chocolate who make you laugh while drinking good cocktails.
And that pretty much sums up my Sunday.
Yesterday was a pretty perfect day, and even though I have a ton of Christmas shopping left and a quickly dwindling bank account, I’m very much in the holiday spirit.
I woke up at 8 am, which was glorious, and lounged around Brian’s apartment for a while. I’m slowly accepting that it’s OK to be a little lazy on the weekends, especially on Sundays. Eventually I made my way home, put on my shortest shorts and headed out for a 23-degree 5-mile run.
It was cold. But also lovely.
My run was nothing spectacular. I just wanted to be in the park, enjoying a little bit of sweat and relishing in the fact that I am done training and racing for 2011! My final race of the season was Saturday’s Ted Corbitt 15K, and I’m pleased to say I went out with a smile on my face. Success!
After my run, I went into party mode.
Yesterday marked the First Annual Sweat Squad Secret Santa party. I got to play hostess, which was great because that meant everyone else had to trek through the cold while I stayed inside making cupcakes and pouring drinks.
Yesterday was my first time having a group of people over since I moved into my apartment! I don’t have much space, or much seating, but we made it work.
Also, I’m not exactly a star in the kitchen, so I did my best to put together some appetizer-y foods that wouldn’t kill anyone.
I think I succeeded, because no one has alerted me of post-party food poisoning yet. And yes, I did have to Google, “How to cut gouda.” Laugh it up, folks. I’m learning.
So there was food…
…and then there were drinks.
We drew names a few weeks ago, and yesterday we finally got to exchange gifts.
I had Susan, and I gave her the gift motivation, or something:
…and also the gift of hot guys and baby animals.
Kelly was my Secret Santa, and I am now the proud owner of some badass wool socks. I wanted to wear them to work today, but they didn’t really go with my outfit. Perhaps tomorrow.
After the party, my friend Lauren came over to continue the friendship fest. And by friendship fest, I mean we ordered pad thai and drank wine.
Why am I telling you all this?
Well, because it’s my blog, and I’ll write what I want to.
But also because the holidays are stressful. Last week I was a heinous little witch because I was panicked about everything imaginable. I overreacted like a champion and threw little mental fits whenever something didn’t go as planned. I was most definitely not in the holiday spirit. I was in the bitch spirit.
This weekend brought me back into the land of overstuffed stockings, sugary foods and festivity, and that was exactly what I needed.
I went to bed last night finally feeling totally chilled out and happy. And also quite drunk.
It’s so important to have good friends, especially during this time of year. It also helps if they know how to bake, or at least know what kind of wine you enjoy.
And if I can get just a little cheesy now: As I get older I care less and less about presents. My mom always asks for my Christmas list, and each year, even though there are things that I’d like, the gifting portion of the holiday feels less important.
I got to spend my weekend surrounded by some of my favorite people, and I was so happy the whole time. It was great catching up in the midst of all the holiday craziness, and I can truly say that I feel like the luckiest girl in the world because I have these people in my life.
Cheese-fest over. You may go on with your day as planned.
TALK TO ME: What was the highlight of your weekend? Holiday shopping? Getting a little boozy and dancing to Celine Dion’s always-amazing holiday album? (What’s wrong with that? NOTHING.) Seeing friends and family? Eating cupcakes? I’d like to know, so tell me.