Follow Me - AliOnTheRun1
- Happy Anniversary to us, NYC. I love you forever, even if you are a loud, filthy, scary asshole sometimes. 12:51:48 PM December 06, 2013
- Six years ago, I moved to New York City. I drove through a snowstorm to get here, didn't have a bed & my roommates were total strangers. <3 12:51:05 PM December 06, 2013
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Ali Turns 1
I remember the day I finally started Ali On The Run. I had been reading lots of “healthy living” and running-focused blogs at the time and wanted to get in on the action.
I’m a paid writer and editor by day, but finding my blogging voice — and figuring out exactly what I wanted my blog to be — took some time. I was debating whether or not I had the desire to run a full marathon (that didn’t take long to decide) and was spending lots of time taking classes at the gym.
The gym stuff hasn’t changed. In fact, today I can barely walk between last night’s brutal Chisel class and this morning’s delightful 7-mile run around the Reservoir.
I recall thinking, “I wonder if I’ll still be blogging a year from now.” Six months later I was still blogging, and now it’s been a full year since little Ali On The Run was born.
So much has changed in the past year, and all of it has been for the better. I’m happy to report that I’m in a way better place now than I was a year ago, and this blog — and all of your blogs — is a big reason why.
I’ve learned a lot through blogging, about running, about nutrition, about Body Glide, about how to not suck at baking cookies (still working on this one) and, most importantly, about myself. I’ve met people through blogging whom I now consider to be some of my closest friends.
Blogging has given me confidence and courage. Writing about my life every day has made me want to live a better life. I’m really good at getting drunk off very little wine and I make a mean pot of macaroni and cheese (if Velveeta and Crohn’s disease could learn to get along, that would be fantastic), but I’m also getting good at making smart, healthy choices (sometimes). I’m much more conscious of my everyday decisions now that I’m writing about them all the time.
Here are a few fun facts about Ali On The Run:
- When I was trying to come up with a blog title, I wrote down everything that came to mind. One of the things I wrote down was “Ali in Runningland.” Like a play on Alice in Wonderland… Every time I come across that in my little notebook I am horrified and embarrassed.
- I love seeing what search terms people use that lead them to my blog. Some of my recent favorite are “coach cane evil genius,” “pee pool” and “the best way to pee your pants when you run a marathon.” Keep ‘em coming, folks.
- I was so excited when I got my first blog comment that I freaked out and emailed my whole family.
- My most popular post ever wasn’t my Hamptons Marathon Recap. No no. Apparently people care more about Meeting My Handsome Friend than my first marathon. Damnit! Brian’s more popular than I am.
And in case you’re just joining us — welcome! — here are my favorite posts from my year of blogging:
- The post where I wrote about a finish line being the happiest place in the world. Or in my world, at least.
- My recap from the National Half Marathon. I loved every mile of that race.
- My Ode to New Runners.
- The post where I finally got to announce that I had been selected as a Run For The Rabbit finalist. After all those weeks where I was blatantly lying to everyone saying I “hadn’t heard anything yet.” I’m sorry.
- The 26 lessons I learned in my 26 years of life.
- My story about how I got started running.
- The semi-pissed off post I wrote about having Crohn’s disease.
- The post where I realized that running has taken over my life — and where I realized that I’m completely fine with it.
- The post about the day I finally felt like a runner.
- The post that I wrote when I was a month away from running the Hamptons Marathon. Everything was coming together brilliantly and I was so freakin’ excited about the race.
- The post about my favorite night ever.
- The post I wrote explaining all the reasons it’s great to run with friends.
- The post where I kind of freaked out about the Hamptons Marathon.
- The post where I detailed all the important numbers in my life at the time.
- The post I wrote about how being strong is sexier than being super skinny.
- The Thankful Things Thursday series, which I thought would be fun once and has become a mainstay here in Ali Land.
Thank you all so much for reading, for commenting and for sharing your thoughts with me every day. Cheers to another year!