Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- A beautiful piece about @ShalaneFlanagan's retirement, by @erinstrout for @WomensRunning! https://t.co/MroKJYnzsf 09:48:56 AM October 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It’s hard not to play the comparison game sometimes when it comes to running and social media. Every weekend morni… https://t.co/aM5H9M1OmL 07:34:45 PM October 20, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Everything’s better in the off-season. 😎 @ Asbury Park Boardwalk https://t.co/lQSHJQD2c2 02:45:55 PM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- NYC runners, I am so sad I can't go to this, but YOU SHOULD! A great lineup sharing @nycmarathon tips, advice, and… https://t.co/uFMAjhepeC 07:34:49 AM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
The Thoughts In My Head
For a long time, September 24 was a date marked boldly in my calendar.
But over the past 20 weeks, September 24 never seemed like it was rapidly approaching. I enjoyed every minute of my summer and despite my dedicated training, it didn’t occur to me that September 24 was, in fact, right around the corner.
On April 22, JackRabbit Sports held a press conference at the New York Running Show and announced its six finalists in the Run For The Rabbit competition.
At the time, I had fantasies about fundraising, going “public” with the campaign and training for my first marathon.
Now, Race Week is here.
The Hamptons Marathon is on Saturday.
Time flies when you’re running all the time.
As I attempt to embrace my final week of tapering, my mind is flooded with thoughts — some rational, some completely irrational and some that are in haiku form.
Everything I think
Is related to the race
I want to run now
Care to take a journey inside my head for a moment or two? Here’s what’s happening there…
What is going on with my stomach? Why is it freaking out?
Where has my appetite gone? Since when is it so hard to choke down a meal?
The “Biggest Loser” winners want “I Heart Sweat” shirts. That’s cool.
How in the world am I going to get all my work done by Thursday? I feel like Jessie Spano. There’s never any time. At least I don’t have to study for a geometry test on top of all this.
I wasn’t particularly moved by Spirit of the Marathon. Is there something wrong with me? Everyone said I would cry. I have no idea which part was supposed to make me cry. Do I not have the heart of a runner?
Self doubt, self doubt, self doubt.
What if I don’t see my family on the race course? What if I’m too slow and they think they missed me so they move locations and I never see them?
Don’t forget the Body Glide. Pack that first. Then the sneakers.
How do people survive without making lists?
This will be the week I get my foot run over by a cab. I would like to live in a bubble this week to avoid harm, injury and germs.
I should get a haircut after the race. It’s been about a year. I’d rather spend that money on a new Dry Fit something.
What if I didn’t train hard enough?
What if I trained too hard?
What if I hit the wall during the marathon? It’s never happened during my long runs, which means it’s bound to happen during the race, right?
What if I slow down, positive split and disappoint Coach Cane?
What if Levain Bakery is closed after the race?
What if my hands are too sweaty and I can’t get my Gu open?
Who will our next president be?
Why aren’t you supposed to wear white after Labor Day?
Why hasn’t the taper made me crazy like everyone said it would?
I take that last one back.
How is it possible that I am a writer and I can bang out a handful of dance-related articles a day — yet I can’t seem to compose one simple, important email?
What if my stomach doesn’t cooperate on Race Day? I can think of nothing worse.
What if that hill at Mile 19 had a growth spurt since I saw it last?
What is a parabola good for? How did I manage to forget everything I learned in high school?
What will the race medal look like?
I wonder if I’ll ever win a race. I should travel to a very small town to find out.
Do people pee their pants during marathons? If I have to go, I’m not stopping…
If I do pee a little during the race, should I tell people? Or keep it a secret? I don’t think my boyfriend will understand. I probably won’t get as many post-race hugs if I confess.
How will I feel the day after the marathon? Will I be able to walk?
What if my family gets stuck in traffic and I don’t get to see them before the race starts?
What would I do if I lost my job?
I wish I had a puppy.
Why does Facebook look different every day?
Will I want to run a second marathon?
Aren’t barefoot runners afraid of stepping on a rock? Or a dead animal?
What if it rains on Race Day?
What if I can’t sleep all week?
I’m going to run a freakin’ marathon. Most people don’t do that.
FEEL FREE TO EASE MY MIND: Share the crazy thoughts going on in your head this week!