Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- It’s my first time being away from Annie, and I’m totally fine! No, really. I am actually totally fine! I miss her… https://t.co/M7OAKfdEUk 07:33:16 PM January 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This is exactly what I needed to watch this morning. (And every morning.) @BillyYang https://t.co/UOUYs5AV1w 09:13:16 AM January 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My vision: me, standing all cute in front of the NYC skyline, holding big, shiny, hot pink balloons spelling out “2… https://t.co/OvFMUZlzJ5 06:16:58 PM January 23, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- January 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 200: Starla Garcia, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- January 17, 2020 by AliThe 10 Best Parts of My Week
- January 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 199: My 2020 Visions, Plans, Hopes, & Dreams
- January 14, 2020 by AliAnnie Update: 15 Months
- January 10, 2020 by AliThis Week
Dance Parties Are The Cure
Yesterday was maybe not the best day.
Or at least yesterday afternoon wasn’t so great.
I got an email that frustrated the heck out of me and that drove me to do three things:
- Pick up the phone to call Mr. Nice Boyfriend, hoping to vent to him. Upon hearing his voice, promptly hang up to avoid crying. Oops.
- Proceed to weep a little bit at my desk. Luckily no one saw.
- Kick the lonely exercise ball that lives underneath my desk.
Not a huge deal. I have just been stressed lately, and as soon as I think I have a solid handle on things, someone comes along making no sense and making my life difficult.
Because that nice boyfriend sent me this picture, and it made me smile:
And then I had some dance parties.
People, I am telling you, you need to get on board with solo dance parties. They will make your life so much better.
Last night I accompanied that boyfriend to H&H Bagels so he could pick up some goodies for his coworkers. Nice man. I happened to like the soundtrack at H&H and so I danced around like a maniac.
And then Mr. H&H Worker gave me a free muffin and said, “You are so happy!”
Yup. I was. Because I was bopping around. And bopping people are happy people.
I also danced around this morning, in part because of this:
What’s better than watching the Today show? Oh right. Watching the best movie ever made.
I watched my favorite movie while I got ready and then cued up some old-school Backstreet Boys and Gloria Estefan on my iPod and rocked out on the commute.
Judge me all you want. But today is a good day.
Why? Why is today so lovely? Allow me to share…
Well first, today is good because of the nice people in the world. That would be you. I was a bit overwhelmed by the response to yesterday’s “You’re hot if you’re strong and it’s OK if you’re not super skinny because runway models don’t run marathons” post. I loved every single comment and was smiling all day knowing that so many people can relate to each other. High five, friends.
Today is good because I finally went to the dentist. I hate it there. I think that the dental hygienist’s life plan is to torture and kill me with sharp laser teeth tools. My bottom teeth are super-sensitive and she doesn’t seem to care.
But I’ve had some rough pain in my upper-left gum area, so after a year and a half of avoiding El Dentisto (that’s most likely Spanish for “The Dentist” but it’s hard to say for sure), I finally went yesterday for a cleaning and some X-rays.
And now, after squirming in the chair for 30 minutes with my iPod on full-blast, we know that the pain is due to a friendly little visitor who I shall name Wizzy.
Apparently I have a wisdom tooth growing in. I believe the dentisty term they used was “impacted.” Wizzy, AKA Top Left Wisdom Tooth, will be joining me for my marathon next week. We’re planning to have a great time together.
And I’m glad I don’t have to go to the dentist again for another six months. That place sucks.
Today is good because I have a delicious, nutritious lunch to look forward to. Hummus, some apples (yeah, more than one, stop judging me, Swan), some pita fun and baby carrots.
I brought this yesterday thinking it wouldn’t fill me up and I’d need to run out for a handful of sandwiches after. But fun fact, it left me happy and satisfied and that’s what she said. My lunchtime treats are so fancy, I know.
Life is good in Sweat-land, so let’s talk about that. Yesterday I filed all the paperwork to officially have the “I Heart Sweat” logo trademarked!
So Lululemon, if you want to make this shirt, you have to go through me first, OK? We can discuss the very high rate at which you may buy the trademark from me. I will settle for something like one million dollars. That’s obviously what it’s worth.
Really though, I’m still riding high off the successful shirt sales. I can’t believe so many people wanted them and you know what that means…
More are on the way!
I am getting ready to place a third order of shirts. They will be available online, just like before. A few things to know about the next round of shirt orders:
- Gray is no longer an option. Brooks doesn’t have any more gray shirts. Sorry!
- There are more color options! Aqua, purple and coral. Sound good? I think so. Sign me up.
- When online ordering goes live, I will Tweet the link and post it on the Ali Run For The Rabbit Facebook page. So follow me or become a fan and you’ll be the first to know when you can get your hands on a Sweat shirt.
- Shipping may take 3–4 weeks. Just a heads up. I’ll do my best to get them out as quickly as possible, but if you’ve got a particular event coming up that you need/want a shirt for, I can’t necessarily guarantee your shirt will arrive in time.
With that all cleared up, there’s good news for the people who already ordered shirts: They’re getting shipped out today!
I spent several hours last night addressing envelopes. Yes, I probably could have printed them on labels and made my life earlier. But I bought a pretty 10-pack of multicolored Sharpies and I wanted to use them, dang it.
I addressed about four of them with nice, pretty handwriting, then gave up and scribbled. So sorry if your envelope is scribbly. Thanks for shopping.
Today is filled with good times because I kicked it off with a great run. I never thought I’d say that 4.5 miles at a slower-than-ever pace makes me a super star, but this morning Coach Cane wanted me to run two laps of the Central Park Reservoir, and he wanted me to do them very slowly. So that’s what I did. I refuse to mess with my training at this point and am following my taper plan extremely closely.
It was a beautiful morning to be out running.
Very humid, but the breeze off the Reservoir was perfect.
My miles were slow, steady and sweaty, and I feel like my body is really starting to recover leading up to race day.
I’m kind of enjoying my taper. Everyone thought I’d go nuts, but guess what everyone? I’m doing just fine. I love having more free time and it’s been kind of nice not carrying a massive gym bag/weapon on the subway with me every morning. Tonight I’m planning to clean out my closet. Taper = Productive Ali.
I like my outfit. Not a lot. But I like it.
That’s all I have to say about that. The skirt is J.Crew (outlet) and the top is from Express circa 1997.
For my next trick, I will attempt to dance around my office all day to hang onto this happy mood. Luckily I work in the dance industry…so I don’t foresee that being too much of a problem.
TELL ME YOUR TRICKS: As you’ve just learned, when I’m in a bad mood or I’m stressed or I’m frustrated or I’m seriously contemplating putting my fist through someone’s face, a simple dance party or karaoke-fest quickly cures my anger. What’s your “get me out of this pissy funk” go-to move?