Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- This post is #sponsored by the amergastroassn #IBDParenthoodProject. Now and then. It's so crazy to look back at… https://t.co/q8xyFhBdCG 07:12:30 AM November 15, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “When you’re in a powerless position & the rest of your career is totally dependent on what you do, you aren’t goin… https://t.co/Oxg9MuShaT 06:30:59 AM November 15, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Shout-out to all the parents out there whose babies are getting four teeth at once. Whose babies have woken up cryi… https://t.co/SDPVCQ7Rpu 06:44:39 PM November 14, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Loved talking to @junodemelo and @runnersworld about my relationships with podcasting and running! https://t.co/H6Fr3ekXVr 02:27:52 PM November 14, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
- October 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 185: Janelle Hartman, Final Finisher of the 2018 New York City Marathon
Thankful Things Thursday: This Better Cheer Me Up
During this morning’s semi-rough run (8 miles, two bathroom stops), I kept thinking about the fact that is not only the first day of September, it’s also Thankful Things Thursday.
I cursed myself for creating this little “holiday” and was all, “I have nothing to be thankful for today, life is so hard, my stomach is killing me, Crohn’s disease blows, I’m not going to be able to run the marathon, this is like the Brooklyn Half all over again, wah wah wah.”
Good lord, Ali. Stop that. You’re pathetic.
I’m still pretty frustrated, honestly. For the past two or three days, my stomach has shot into overdrive.
Everything I eat makes me miserable, and it takes me way too long to get moving in the morning. I can’t fall asleep at night because I’m in pain, and then I’m tossing and turning most of the night. Sorry, boyfriend.
I’m really hoping this is nothing. Of course I’m fearing the worst: that it could be the early signs of a flare-up. But I’m trying not to completely freak out yet, and with that I bring you a roundup of all the wonderful things I truly am thankful for today…
I’m thankful I stocked up on new Gu-y and non-Gu products for Saturday.
This weekend I’ll run my second 20-miler before beginning my taper leading up to the Hamptons Marathon. Crazy, right? The Mint Chocolate Gu was OK enough when I tried it last weekend, and per many of your suggestions I’m also going to try out the Sports Beans and Hammer Gel this weekend. I’m kind of excited to try something new, and am being optimistic that my stomach will be chilled out by then.
I’m thankful you all remembered the drill!
It’s the first day of the month! That means you say “Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit” and you get good luck all month. I definitely creepily whispered it when I woke up this morning. And since my marathon is this month, I can use all the good luck I can get.
I’m thankful I have a boyfriend who understands my needs.
Chocolate-covered things and cupcakes. He really gets me, you know? I appreciate that.
I’m thankful for those Central Park bathrooms. Ah, yes. I’ve written about this oh-so-many times, but it’s sadly always relevant. I banged out 8 miles today, which may have been the longest run I’ve ever done before a full day of work. That felt pretty awesome.
Coach Cane’s plan:
- 1 mile warm-up
- 3 miles at 9:00 pace
- 3 miles at sub-8:30 pace
- 1 mile cool-down
On any other day, this would have been easy and breezy and these are a few of my favorite things. Whatever that means.
But today, with that pesky stomach of mine, this run was semi-brutal. When I felt fine, my pace was great. Mile 4 happened at an 8:09 pace, which I was pumped about.
When that stomach pain kicked in, though, I was bolting for the bathroom like a real classy, delicate lady. Frustrating? Oh yes.
I’m thankful I’m getting out of town this weekend. After my run on Saturday, I’m heading out to the Hamptons. I’m going to run part of the race course on Sunday and drive the rest of it. I’m so excited and can’t wait to meet any hills on the course and tell them to be prepared, because I’m going to stomp and sweat all over them.
I’m thankful more shirts are on the way! Apparently the “I Heart Sweat” shirts are trendy or something, because I get more emails, Tweets and Facebook messages about them than I ever thought possible.
Good news: More shirts (lots more — don’t worry, you’ll get one!) will be at the Upper East Side and Union Square JackRabbit stores by the end of next week, and online ordering will be available even sooner than that. I will, of course, post all that information as soon as I have it. But for now I can tell you that the shirts will still be available in gray, and there’s an aqua option as well!
I’m thankful for Megan. Today is her birthday. So head over to her blog and show her some love. Megan was the first person I ever ran with that I met through blogging, and she made me so much more comfortable with the buddy running system. I will forever be grateful for that. So thank you, Megan, and happy birthday!
I’m thankful that Thankful Things Thursday is already cheering me up. I’ve got a cute little guy sitting on my lap…
…and my day is already improving. I like it.
I’m thankful people are excited about the Erica Sara Designs giveaway! I am, too! And I’m pissed that one of you is going to win this gorgeous necklace and I don’t even have a shot. Unfair. Who made these rules?
In case you need a refresher on the giveaway details, here’s what you need to do:
Click here to make a donation to the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation.
- A $5 donation gets you one entry to win the necklace
- A $10 donation gets you two entries
- A $20 donation gets you five entries
- A $50 donation gets you 20 entries!
- A $100 donation = 100 entries!
I will choose a winner at random next Wednesday, Sept. 7, at 12 pm. Good luck!
I’m thankful that people are so nice. Seriously. The world is filled with plenty of weirdos and scary people who make me question humanity. (I mean come on, I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant? Who thought that show was a good idea?) But there are also some genuinely good humans out there, and I adore and cherish them.
I’m thankful for my new yellow highlighter. So silky and smooth. Stop looking at me, swan!
I’m thankful for a long weekend.
I’m thankful I’m going to run a marathon. Whether my stomach holds up or not, I promise you that I will cross the start and the finish line on September 24. Just wait and see.
Look! I’m all cheered up now!
NOW YOU GO: Tell me what you’re thankful for today.
Posted in Central Park, Crohn's disease, Food, Giveaways, Hamptons Marathon Training, NYC, Running, Thankful Things Thursday and tagged Central Park, Coach Cane, Crohn's Disease, Crohns & Colitis Foundation, Erica Sara Designs, Hamptons Marathon, JackRabbit Sports, Molly's Cupcakes, Pluto, Running, Thankful Things Thursday-