Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- February 19, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 209: Catching Up with Andrea Barber
- February 17, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Live in Atlanta + Runners to Watch at the Olympic Marathon Trials
- February 13, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 208: Love on the Run Week with Kara & Adam Goucher
- February 12, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 207: Love on the Run Week with Gwen Jorgensen & Pat Lemieux
- February 11, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 206: Love on the Run Week with Steph & Ben Bruce
Scenes From Irene
I’m happy (and lucky) to report that Hurricane Irene managed to swerve her little path around the Upper East Side for the most part.
I was awake for plenty of torrential downpouring and some pretty heavy winds, but that was the worst of it where I am.
After yesterday’s 16-miler, I was happy to slip into yoga pants and be as lazy as possible all weekend.
I camped out at an apartment that isn’t mine — it’s much better — and braved the storm by eating (a lot — nachos are delicious), drinking (a lot — Riesling, you are my friend) and sleeping (a lot).
We did venture out for a walk around 7 pm yesterday, before the storm got too bad, and found ourselves at a cute wine bar for a while. The bartender was very generous with her pours, which we took advantage of.
This morning I didn’t wake up until almost 10 am.
Thank you, Irene, for giving me an excuse to sleep in guilt-free.
It was a relief to wake up, go for a walk and see that the Upper East Side survived OK.
See? I am happy, so I am doing a bell kick.
After eating all day (mmmm homemade sweet potato fries) and taking a glorious 2-hour afternoon nap, I finally got moving to get in a 4.25 mile run, per Coach Cane’s plan.
I ran (very slowly) over by the East River, then ventured up to Central Park.
The winds were strong and there were lots of little branches everywhere, plus a few big trees taking naps on the ground.
Central Park was technically closed, but I snuck my way in.
So did roughly 1 million other people.
For my next trick, I will eat more. And then sleep more.
And then sleep in again.
Office closed tomorrow? Fine by me!
TELL ME: Were you affected by Irene the Hurricane Ho? I hope not!