Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/DQZzdzlyNs 06:53:24 PM May 27, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/sHFVxoXoqG 06:52:03 PM May 27, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Had a very special little guest on the Ali on the Run Show today! (OK, two special guests!) LOOK… https://t.co/JWyNnN3J07 06:15:01 PM May 26, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- May 25, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 31: Dan Nevins, Army Veteran, Double Amputee & Yoga Teacher
- May 23, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 30: My Crohn's Disease Story
- May 21, 2017 by Ali2017 Airbnb Brooklyn Half Recap
- May 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 29: Meredith Kennedy, Marketing Operations Manager at BuzzFeed
- May 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 28: Let's Talk Running Pet Peeves
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Drinking & Blogging From Fire Island
Warning: My day has consisted of this…
Yes, that’s right. I’m sorry, Mom. I have been drinking. Only a little amount though. Lauren made me do it.
And now I will attempt to blog. Quickly. There’s still some more champagne to be had. Life is a celebration.
I was planning to write a full race report documenting yesterday’s Battle of Brooklyn 10-miler, but now I’m not so sure that’s necessary.
The usual things happened: I wasn’t too psyched about the race beforehand, I started out too fast, I got giddy thinking I could maintain the 7:45 pace on my watch, I hit the first hill, I got tired, I continued uphill and got increasingly frustrated, my pace got slower, I got pissed off, I flooded my brain with self-doubt, and then, 10 miles later, the race was over and I felt less than enthused.
I know I need to get over these mental battles, and soon, because I need to be all “Woo hoo, game on” on Marathon Day.
But for now, I’m letting Coach Cane guide me.
His message to me today: Upon reviewing your race, I’m far less distraught than you are. Yes — we need to break your stubborn habit of starting out too fast, but your time was in line with what I expected, and you’re responding to the increased workload well. We need to get you to stop self-destructing, but I also need you to recognize that you’re doing just fine.
Thank God I have him. He’s a nice man. He runs races in costumes.
Almost immediately after the race, I showered and hopped on a fancy little van headed for Fire Island.
An hour and 15 minutes later, I arrived at the ferry, and then I found an 11-week-old Rottweiler puppy named Ziggy.
We immediately became best friends.
Ziggy and I took the ferry to Saltaire, where my Handsome (Boy!)Friend and I are spending two glorious days with my friend Lauren.
Last night Handsome Friend cooked a bangin’ dinner for Lauren’s entire family: penne a la vodka with sausage. It was fantastic. I think her family approves of him. Muy bueno.
Then we drank some drinks and I fell asleep around 11. I’m such a little champion.
Only not. I was the first person to say, “I’m tired, I need to go home.”
Strong work, Ali. Really, way to show off.
Today I slept in! Until 9ish! It was clearly needed.
Also, are you ready for this big news?
I took a total rest day today.
Isn’t that crazy? Who am I?
I’m not stressed about work (mostly because I’m not thinking about it) and I didn’t feel compelled to run or cross train or do much of anything today beyond putting on my bathing suit, parking my butt on the beach and doing absolutely nothing.
Plus a little bike riding around the island. Low impact.
If lifting a cup filled with champagne to my mouth many times counts as strength training, then I have done a lot of strength training today.
In fact, I’m going to go do some more of it.
And maybe play with more puppies.
I don’t know.
I don’t know if I’ll have enough time.
After a few crazy weeks, I have definitely needed this time away.
Happy Monday, friends!
*Most photos taken by Handsome (Boy)Friend. I think he wants to start getting some credit for things.