Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Yes! A+ endorsement for the @fast_women newsletter! https://t.co/GUM7Go7ZLr about 1 hour ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “I wish I knew that it was normal to feel this way." The co-founders of @MotherlyMedia are on the Ali on the Run S… https://t.co/h9EfCqBuLK about 6 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Welcoming eight months with a high kick and, again, wanting to freeze time right where we are. Loving this stage, w… https://t.co/OvxChwqFOH about 6 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- June 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 150: Motherhood Mondays with Jill Koziol & Liz Tenety, Co-Founders of Motherly
- June 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 149: The Women Reporting on Women's Running
- June 10, 2019 by Ali#BraveLikeGabe
- June 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 148: April Cargill on Becoming a Marathoner at 50
- June 5, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 147: Jess Movold, Running & Strength Coach
Knee Pain… But Also, Puppies!!!
Today we’re going to talk about puppies.
You know why? Because it’s Wednesday. And who gets excited about Wednesday?
But first, a few other things…
As you may recall, I went for a run yesterday morning. I did 6.5 miles, mostly on Central Park’s Harlem Hills. I felt fine during the run.
But afterward…not so good.
When I stopped to stretch before leaving the park, the back of my left knee was killing me. It was a scary pain — like the muscle was really tight and about to pop.
I was OK getting home, got ready for work just fine and made it to the subway without any problem. But after standing still on the subway commute to work and then having to get off the subway — that was a bit of a challenge.
The muscle completely tightened up. I could barely make it up the subway stairs and had to choke back tears.
I refuse to get injured during marathon training, dang it.
I seriously debated taking a cab across town because I was in so much pain. (I didn’t. I just took a really long time getting to the office.)
So naturally I freaked out.
I emailed Coach Cane immediately for advice, and of course he made me feel better:
“No freaking out yet. Aches and pains are par for the course. That’s not to say we ignore them, but just recognize that it’s not unusual. Minor setbacks are normal and not insurmountable.”
Whew. So I’m not going to die?
He told me to ice it, and of course there was no ice at my office.
But then something magical happened:
I got a call from the receptionist that there was a package for me at the front desk.
There was no note, but the return address on the package indicated this all came from a nice boy who knows I enjoy dark chocolate.
I got the ice pack going, propped my leg up on an exercise ball and voila! I woke up today feeling no pain at all.
I’m glad I decided not to go to spinning last night like I had planned. Instead I was able to go this morning once I felt better. The class was fine. I took it pretty easy but still sweat a ton, which is always lovely.
Do you want to talk about puppies now?
After work last night I joined my dear friend Lauren at American Kennels on the Upper East Side. She said she was “getting a dog,” though in reality that idea wasn’t totally approved by her live-in boyfriend.
So she didn’t get one, but we still got to play with lots of them.
The first puppy I held was my favorite: PUG!
The pug was awesome. He was all squirmy and happy and at one point I swear I heard him ask if I would take him home. Sadly I can’t have dogs in my building. Otherwise that little guy was mine.
Next we played with a white dog. I don’t remember what kind it was, but it was cool.
Fun fact about this dog: It could have been cast in The Lion King. See how great the puppy is at re-enacting the “Circle of Life” scene?
I would obviously play the role of Rafiki. Blue butt and all.
Next dog: The French Bulldog.
This is the dog I will get someday. Trust me. It’s going to happen.
French Bulldog didn’t want to play. He just wanted to cuddle.
Want an up-close shot? Here you go:
The last puppy we got to enjoy was a Cavapoo. Apparently this is a Cavalier King Charlies/Poodle hybrid. It was the crowd favorite I think.
We fell in love fast.
That’s it for puppy pictures. I hope you said “Aww” at least once. It was the only sound coming out of my mouth last night.
And now, on with the day. Have a great Wednesday, friends!
DO YOU WANT TO KEEP TALKING ABOUT PUPPIES? What’s your favorite kind? And do you have one? And can I have it?