- I laughed embarrassingly hard at every single one of these. https://t.co/soEuVYl4d7 about 2 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Spotted in the latest issue of @WomensRunning! I know her! https://t.co/m8TqqyVRiB about 3 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Who are your favorite runners to follow on Instagram? about 20 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Last week was a good week. (Today, not so much. Ah, Crohn's, keepin' me on my toes!) https://t.co/djlbOLyuvO about 21 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- October 24, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 14
- October 21, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Inspiration
- October 19, 2016 by AliLife Lately
- October 17, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 13
- October 13, 2016 by AliThings That Make Having Crohn's Easier (And A Few Things That Make It Worse)
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Knee Pain… But Also, Puppies!!!
Today we’re going to talk about puppies.
You know why? Because it’s Wednesday. And who gets excited about Wednesday?
But first, a few other things…
As you may recall, I went for a run yesterday morning. I did 6.5 miles, mostly on Central Park’s Harlem Hills. I felt fine during the run.
But afterward…not so good.
When I stopped to stretch before leaving the park, the back of my left knee was killing me. It was a scary pain — like the muscle was really tight and about to pop.
I was OK getting home, got ready for work just fine and made it to the subway without any problem. But after standing still on the subway commute to work and then having to get off the subway — that was a bit of a challenge.
The muscle completely tightened up. I could barely make it up the subway stairs and had to choke back tears.
I refuse to get injured during marathon training, dang it.
I seriously debated taking a cab across town because I was in so much pain. (I didn’t. I just took a really long time getting to the office.)
So naturally I freaked out.
I emailed Coach Cane immediately for advice, and of course he made me feel better:
“No freaking out yet. Aches and pains are par for the course. That’s not to say we ignore them, but just recognize that it’s not unusual. Minor setbacks are normal and not insurmountable.”
Whew. So I’m not going to die?
He told me to ice it, and of course there was no ice at my office.
But then something magical happened:
I got a call from the receptionist that there was a package for me at the front desk.
There was no note, but the return address on the package indicated this all came from a nice boy who knows I enjoy dark chocolate.
I got the ice pack going, propped my leg up on an exercise ball and voila! I woke up today feeling no pain at all.
I’m glad I decided not to go to spinning last night like I had planned. Instead I was able to go this morning once I felt better. The class was fine. I took it pretty easy but still sweat a ton, which is always lovely.
Do you want to talk about puppies now?
After work last night I joined my dear friend Lauren at American Kennels on the Upper East Side. She said she was “getting a dog,” though in reality that idea wasn’t totally approved by her live-in boyfriend.
So she didn’t get one, but we still got to play with lots of them.
The first puppy I held was my favorite: PUG!
The pug was awesome. He was all squirmy and happy and at one point I swear I heard him ask if I would take him home. Sadly I can’t have dogs in my building. Otherwise that little guy was mine.
Next we played with a white dog. I don’t remember what kind it was, but it was cool.
Fun fact about this dog: It could have been cast in The Lion King. See how great the puppy is at re-enacting the “Circle of Life” scene?
I would obviously play the role of Rafiki. Blue butt and all.
Next dog: The French Bulldog.
This is the dog I will get someday. Trust me. It’s going to happen.
French Bulldog didn’t want to play. He just wanted to cuddle.
Want an up-close shot? Here you go:
The last puppy we got to enjoy was a Cavapoo. Apparently this is a Cavalier King Charlies/Poodle hybrid. It was the crowd favorite I think.
We fell in love fast.
That’s it for puppy pictures. I hope you said “Aww” at least once. It was the only sound coming out of my mouth last night.
And now, on with the day. Have a great Wednesday, friends!
DO YOU WANT TO KEEP TALKING ABOUT PUPPIES? What’s your favorite kind? And do you have one? And can I have it?