Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/DQZzdzlyNs about 5 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/sHFVxoXoqG about 6 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Had a very special little guest on the Ali on the Run Show today! (OK, two special guests!) LOOK… https://t.co/JWyNnN3J07 06:15:01 PM May 26, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- May 25, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 31: Dan Nevins, Army Veteran, Double Amputee & Yoga Teacher
- May 23, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 30: My Crohn's Disease Story
- May 21, 2017 by Ali2017 Airbnb Brooklyn Half Recap
- May 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 29: Meredith Kennedy, Marketing Operations Manager at BuzzFeed
- May 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 28: Let's Talk Running Pet Peeves
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Ali Cake & A Health Update
Really, Monday? You had to arrive so soon?
I won’t complain because this week is a 4-day work week for me. But I will complain a little bit because, really, I’d like a longer weekend all the time, please.
But this weekend was one of my all-time favorites.
- I ran 12 miles on Saturday. I then concluded that 12 miles has somehow become “no big deal” in the grand scheme of marathon training. Crazy.
- I spent the rest of my Saturday with my family! They swung through town on their way to Philadelphia and enjoyed just enough time in NYC to get pizza and frozen yogurt. Sunday involved a recovery run and a delicious brunch in Central Park.
Then Sunday involved Ali feeling very sleepy.
Blah blah blah, get more sleep, take more rest days, blah blah blah.
So after I got back from brunch yesterday I curled up on my couch with my computer. The plan was to “get stuff done” while watching the World Cup game (which, by the way, was awesome).
I was excited to watch the game because I knew the Run For The Rabbit commercials would be airing and I wanted to catch them live.
Again with the narcissism. At least I can admit it, right?
But the next thing I knew, I was sleeping.
I slept through most of the game. I slept through all the commercials.
Though I did wake up to a handful of texts and Tweets that made me happy!
Fun! Glad the rest of you were able to stay awake…
So then I woke up and I was pissed.
I felt like I had accomplished nothing all weekend. Even though I’d had a great time with friends, family and my sneakers, I didn’t feel like I had made much life progress in terms of getting stuff done.
And then my phone stopped working.
And then my computer froze.
And then I freaked the F out.
Stress got the best of me and I turned into Panicky Ali.
And then I got a Facebook message (because that’s how you communicate when technology fails you) from a nice person.
“I think you should go outside.”
Look what I found outside:
And then I was stressed no more.
Seriously. The chocolate cake cured me.
My incredibly thoughtful friend and I decided to make dinner last night. On the menu: steak (I did not help with this), sweet potato fries (I peeled and cut the potatoes) and spinach (I pushed stuff around in the pan but mostly did nothing else).
It was such a good meal! I really do want to get better at cooking. I’m a little afraid of cooking meat because I’m convinced I’ll manage to poison it or overcook it or somehow kill myself, but if someone else can take care of that part, I’ll gladly whip up some side dishes.
Of course dessert was amazing as well. I was sad to cut into the Ali Cake, but it was pretty dang good.
I’m pleased to report that I was in bed and asleep by 10:30 pm last night! And since Mondays are cross-training days, I was also able to sleep until 6 am. How impressive is that?
I feel rested and happy today!
Even though my outfit is lame and boring.
Frankly, when it’s 85 degrees before I’ve even left the house, the odds of me putting much effort into my appearance are non-existent.
Plus, I have a “black tie affair” to attend for work tonight, so I’ll try to redeem myself for that. Though admittedly my “party dress” is folded up and stuffed into the bottom of my gym bag right now. That should look good and presentable and not wrinkled at all by 8 pm.
To wrap this up, here’s a little health update:
I’m feeling good! Crohn’s Disease is sad right now because I kicked its butt this time around. Mwa ha ha. I’m off the steroids, which I’m very happy about. I was starting to see signs of “moon face” and I wasn’t liking it. I’m eager for my face to return to its normal size.
My mom came to NYC on Saturday bearing photos — of me, just before and after I was diagnosed.
So here I am at 7 years old, on that fateful trip when we first found out I had Crohn’s Disease:
I had dropped to 37 pounds.
Apparently being sick didn’t stop me from sticking out my tongue and ruining nice family photos. Sorry, cousins.
And then here I am weeks later, after being on Prednisone for a while:
Whoooooa face! Though I guess it’s good that I was feeling healthy enough to put on ridiculous outfits and massive amounts of sequins.
By the time school started, I had gained back the weight I’d lost…and I’m pretty sure I was carrying it all in my cheeks.
Don’t worry, Becky. I won’t eat you. Don’t be afraid of me.
So yeah. There’s a little history of my past with Steroid Face. Isn’t it lovely?
But the good news is that the steroids seem to have worked this time around. My stomach has felt totally fine over the past few weeks and I’m pumped to be getting into the heavy part of my marathon training with a happy, healthy body.
Now it’s time to get to work. This is about to be the busiest week ever with lots of work and lots of fun non-work plans including a concert on Wednesday night and a hip hop class with an old friend on Thursday.
AND YOU? What are you most looking forward to this week?
Have a great day!