- Just listened to @LindseyHein I'll Have Another Podcast for 1st time. Lindsey, be my bestie? Thanks for making the miles fly this morning!! 08:51:20 AM May 28, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy Friday! Love, Ellie https://t.co/SpEGkpuhbN 05:51:22 PM May 27, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Happy FRIDAY (With Ellie)! https://t.co/SpEGkpLS3l 07:02:32 AM May 27, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- May 27, 2016 by AliFridays With Ellie: Road-Tripping, Swimming, & Race Spectating!
- May 25, 2016 by AliCelebrating Two Years With November Project
- May 22, 2016 by Ali2016 Airbnb Brooklyn Half Recap
- May 20, 2016 by AliSee You In Brooklyn
- May 10, 2016 by AliAli Lately
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Ali Cake & A Health Update
Really, Monday? You had to arrive so soon?
I won’t complain because this week is a 4-day work week for me. But I will complain a little bit because, really, I’d like a longer weekend all the time, please.
But this weekend was one of my all-time favorites.
- I ran 12 miles on Saturday. I then concluded that 12 miles has somehow become “no big deal” in the grand scheme of marathon training. Crazy.
- I spent the rest of my Saturday with my family! They swung through town on their way to Philadelphia and enjoyed just enough time in NYC to get pizza and frozen yogurt. Sunday involved a recovery run and a delicious brunch in Central Park.
Then Sunday involved Ali feeling very sleepy.
Blah blah blah, get more sleep, take more rest days, blah blah blah.
So after I got back from brunch yesterday I curled up on my couch with my computer. The plan was to “get stuff done” while watching the World Cup game (which, by the way, was awesome).
I was excited to watch the game because I knew the Run For The Rabbit commercials would be airing and I wanted to catch them live.
Again with the narcissism. At least I can admit it, right?
But the next thing I knew, I was sleeping.
I slept through most of the game. I slept through all the commercials.
Though I did wake up to a handful of texts and Tweets that made me happy!
Fun! Glad the rest of you were able to stay awake…
So then I woke up and I was pissed.
I felt like I had accomplished nothing all weekend. Even though I’d had a great time with friends, family and my sneakers, I didn’t feel like I had made much life progress in terms of getting stuff done.
And then my phone stopped working.
And then my computer froze.
And then I freaked the F out.
Stress got the best of me and I turned into Panicky Ali.
And then I got a Facebook message (because that’s how you communicate when technology fails you) from a nice person.
“I think you should go outside.”
Look what I found outside:
And then I was stressed no more.
Seriously. The chocolate cake cured me.
My incredibly thoughtful friend and I decided to make dinner last night. On the menu: steak (I did not help with this), sweet potato fries (I peeled and cut the potatoes) and spinach (I pushed stuff around in the pan but mostly did nothing else).
It was such a good meal! I really do want to get better at cooking. I’m a little afraid of cooking meat because I’m convinced I’ll manage to poison it or overcook it or somehow kill myself, but if someone else can take care of that part, I’ll gladly whip up some side dishes.
Of course dessert was amazing as well. I was sad to cut into the Ali Cake, but it was pretty dang good.
I’m pleased to report that I was in bed and asleep by 10:30 pm last night! And since Mondays are cross-training days, I was also able to sleep until 6 am. How impressive is that?
I feel rested and happy today!
Even though my outfit is lame and boring.
Frankly, when it’s 85 degrees before I’ve even left the house, the odds of me putting much effort into my appearance are non-existent.
Plus, I have a “black tie affair” to attend for work tonight, so I’ll try to redeem myself for that. Though admittedly my “party dress” is folded up and stuffed into the bottom of my gym bag right now. That should look good and presentable and not wrinkled at all by 8 pm.
To wrap this up, here’s a little health update:
I’m feeling good! Crohn’s Disease is sad right now because I kicked its butt this time around. Mwa ha ha. I’m off the steroids, which I’m very happy about. I was starting to see signs of “moon face” and I wasn’t liking it. I’m eager for my face to return to its normal size.
My mom came to NYC on Saturday bearing photos — of me, just before and after I was diagnosed.
So here I am at 7 years old, on that fateful trip when we first found out I had Crohn’s Disease:
I had dropped to 37 pounds.
Apparently being sick didn’t stop me from sticking out my tongue and ruining nice family photos. Sorry, cousins.
And then here I am weeks later, after being on Prednisone for a while:
Whoooooa face! Though I guess it’s good that I was feeling healthy enough to put on ridiculous outfits and massive amounts of sequins.
By the time school started, I had gained back the weight I’d lost…and I’m pretty sure I was carrying it all in my cheeks.
Don’t worry, Becky. I won’t eat you. Don’t be afraid of me.
So yeah. There’s a little history of my past with Steroid Face. Isn’t it lovely?
But the good news is that the steroids seem to have worked this time around. My stomach has felt totally fine over the past few weeks and I’m pumped to be getting into the heavy part of my marathon training with a happy, healthy body.
Now it’s time to get to work. This is about to be the busiest week ever with lots of work and lots of fun non-work plans including a concert on Wednesday night and a hip hop class with an old friend on Thursday.
AND YOU? What are you most looking forward to this week?
Have a great day!