Subscribe to my Blog!Enter your email address below:
Follow Me – AliOnTheRun1
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- November 30, 2012 by Ali'Tis The Season To Be Giving (So How About An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway?)
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
I Suck At Yoga But I’m Good At Eating
I only have to work until 1!
I’m wearing a pink dress! With stains on it!
This week freakin’ flew by.
Last night after work I did yoga. Wonderful, 75-minute, vinyasa yoga. My body needed it. It’s been forever since I’ve done yoga and, despite incessant foam rolling, my muscles have felt tighter than ever.
I joined my dear friend Alex for her “favorite yoga class” at Yogaworks near Union Square. I was a little nervous — she, too, is a former dancer (and current runner!), but unlike me she’s retained her flexibility. She’s very diligent about her yoga practice and raves about this class.
“I always leave on a yoga high,” she told me once.
Awesome. I’ll get high on yoga. Sign me up.
We snagged spots in the front row — kind of wish I had been further back — and settled onto our mats. The instructor talked about being creative, and said something about how we’re all creative people.
I like that. Even if you wear a suit to work or your life revolves around numbers, that doesn’t mean you’re not a creative person. “Every time we make a decision or solve a problem, we’re being creative,” she said.
I really liked the class, even though I completely sucked at it.
I’m not being modest. It’s not like I was busting out balances and handstands and being all advanced. I wobbled in every single pose. I fell out of a handful of them. I consistently twisted the wrong way because I don’t know how to listen to directions.
Good thing I was standing next to the wall, because I was clinging to it for dear life during “half moon” pose.
Oh yoga. I so desperately want to excel at you, but I just can’t seem to grasp it.
I did get thisclose to doing a headstand though. But after getting frustrated that my legs would magically rise up themselves, I gave one leg a little boost and the teacher practically shouted “don’t jump into it — especially if you’re near the windows!” I was the only person not already in a handstand, and the only person near the windows. Sooo yeah…I’m pretty sure she was talking to me…
I also managed to fall into a serious REM cycle during savasana. I guess I was tired. Five hours of sleep a night will do that to you.
After class, Alex knew what I wanted: frozen yogurt, of course.
Yoga high gave me the munchies.
And so I did something bad.
I cheated on my beloved 16 Handles.
Alex insisted that “Flavaboom” is where it’s at, so I followed her there.
I was skeptical, of course, because my heart belongs to one very special fro-yo spot on the Upper East Side.
But Flavaboom was delicious. I made a chocolate-java flavor combination with all the chocolaty toppings I could fit in the cup.
The yogurt was super smooth, which I liked, and the place itself was really cute.
Alex, did you like your “dinner?”
Ali, did you inhale yours like you always do?
I made it home at an hour that was late, then did some To Do listy things and showered and before I knew it, 11 pm had arrived and I still wasn’t ready for bed.
And then I was up at 5 am. Again.
I went to the gym this morning for some light spinning. I say “light spinning” because every time the teacher said “one turn to the right” I moved the resistance knob a centimeter or so. I went easy on the resistance but pushed the speed.
I sweat a lot, too. No surprise there.
And now let me take you back in time…
On Monday I got up on my little soapbox and declared that I would make goals this week. Major, life-changing, mood-altering goals! And I would achieve those goals! And life would be grand!
Really, the goals were quite simple. So how did I do? I will tell you:
- Get a new license. Check! The DMV was not as bad as I expected, and I officially have my temporary New York state ID. In “about two weeks” I’ll get the real deal in the mail.
- Pack lunch at least four days this week. Check! I didn’t go out to lunch at all this week. Hummus and cucumber sandwiches for the win.
- Cook dinner. Kind of. I cooked twice (fish and Brussels sprouts both times) but also went out twice (if last night counts). It was just too dang hot to cook dinner on Tuesday night, so I got Mexican food. And 16 Handles.
- Do yoga. Check! And it was lovely.
- Get back on the fundraising bandwagon! I’m working on it.
- Dominate my To Do list. I’m doing pretty well on this one. I’m pleased with my progress. I’ll call it a half success.
- Be a better commenter. Check! I’ve been doing some blog commenting, not because I feel like I have to but because I want to. If I have nothing to say, I never comment just for the sake of commenting. That’s silly. And, frankly, a waste of everyone’s time. But when a post gets me excited, I’ll let you know.
I wish I had made “stop grinding your teeth” a goal, because I’ve been going to town grinding up a storm all week. Subsequently (I love that word) I’ve also had a raging headache this entire week.
I think I’ll live though.
DO YOU DO ANYTHING BAD? Grinding my teeth is an awful habit of mine. What are your bad habits? Any nail biters out there? Hair twirlers? Smokers? Crack addicts? Hoarders? Gum poppers? People who hum while they pee? (You question that, but I work with several of those people.)
I would also like to add that things like “peeing in the shower” and “nose picking” are normal things and are not bad habits. So please do not list them.
OK, go. And have a good day!