Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- May 22, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 144: Sara & Ryan Hall
- May 19, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 143: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Taraneh Shirazian, OB/GYN & President of Saving Mothers
- May 15, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 142: Jen Ator, Women's Running Editor in Chief
- May 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 141: Motherhood Mondays with Colleen Lubin, Creator of Not Quite Knocked Up
- May 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 140: Carolyn Su, Creator of @diversewerun
Thankful Things Thursday: Winding Down From Disney
I didn’t forget that today is Thursday. I’m just way late in posting due to traveling.
At 4 am, when my alarm went off, I wasn’t feeling very thankful. But I am now, so let’s get to it. Here’s what I’m thankful for on this very lovely Thursday…
I’m thankful for the amazing trip I just experienced. Orlando was great. Seriously, every single aspect of my time there was amazing, from the poolside cocktails to the wildly talented dancers I watched all day yesterday.
In case you missed out on any of the Orlando Adventures, here’s a recap:
- I spent Day 1 laying by the pool, dining at Downtown Disney and working.
- On Day 2 I dominated Epcot, Hollywood Studios and the Magic Kingdom. Magical? Absolutely.
- Day 3 involved big thrills and fun rides at Universal Studios, followed by big thrills and bigger drinks at Margaritaville. Also, dinner at California Grill. And fireworks.
- By Day 4, I was depressed about the trip ending. I spent the entire day at a dance competition, which was inspiring and fun and, to be honest, what I was actually in Orlando to do. Work success!
I feel very fortunate to have been blessed with great weather, delicious food and plenty of sunshine to tide me over for a while.
I’m thankful I still have my toenail. True story. Ever since the Fairfield Half Marathon, the nail on my second toe has felt a little…flimsy? Loose, even? But I got a pedicure a week before that race, so I couldn’t actually see the toe. As the polish has chipped, however, I can see that the nail is purple. It feels hardcore and I’m fine with it. I’m just glad it’s still attached. Little victory.
Running is sexy.
I’m thankful I squeezed in my run today. I was up at 4 to catch a 7 am flight out of Orlando. By the time I got back to my apartment in the city, it was already close to 11 am — much later than I am ever willing to run in the hot months.
I was not happy about this forecast.
Coach Cane had a pretty specific plan for me, and I followed it at first before totally giving in to the heat. I ended up covering 6.25 miles, the first few of which were at a quick pace, the final few at a not-so-quick pace.
I tried sticking to the Central Park Reservoir, but it was closed at parts, so I shifted over to the Bridle Path. The shade was spotty and whenever the sun was beating down on me I felt pretty defeated.
I also had to stop twice. My stomach gets so much worse when it’s super hot out. Go figure.
Needless to say I was disgusting by the time I was done running.
That picture does me no justice. I was dripping all over the floor.
Running is sexy.
I’m thankful I’m going to make a new To Do list soon. My old one just won’t do, and I love making new lists.
I’m thankful I cleaned my apartment before I left. Nothing beats coming home to a spotless home.
I’m thankful I was able to unplug. Granted, I didn’t have much choice — the wireless access in the hotel wasn’t great and my cell phone hardly worked while I was in Florida. But I barely went on Twitter, didn’t stay on top of any Facebook updates and didn’t really read any blogs. I made sure my work emails were covered, but other than that I relaxed away from technology. It felt great.
I’m thankful I’m back in NYC. As great as my trip was, it’s nice to settle back into a routine. I’m looking forward to doing some grocery shopping, making some home-cooked food this weekend, doing a long run (15 miles on Saturday!) and getting back into my groove.
I’m thankful for hummus. It’s my current favorite food group. Yesterday afternoon I got edamame hummus for lunch. It was awesome.
I’m thankful I have no plans this weekend. I need to run on Saturday, but other than that I’m keeping myself free. I can’t wait. I will probably spend many hours walking to and from 16 Handles. Who’s in?
NOW YOU DO IT: Tell me what you’re thankful for today!