- All I want right now is for a dozen (minimum) Olive Garden breadsticks to show up at my door, & then I want to eat them in the bath. about 4 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Fridays with Ellie. That's it. Just puppy pictures. Happy Friday! https://t.co/V1nBnWbiVP about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- February 12, 2016 by AliFridays With Ellie
- February 8, 2016 by AliNYRR Gridiron 4M Recap
- February 2, 2016 by AliHow Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Is Changing My Life (And My Running)
- January 28, 2016 by AliA Very Ellie Update
- January 26, 2016 by AliPlanning A Puppy Graduation Party (And Other Life-Changing Plans & Goals)
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
‘Twas The Night Before Fairfield
Tomorrow I will run 13.1 miles through Fairfield, CT.
The way I see it, this race could go one of two ways:
- I wake up, feel amazing, say F-you Crohn’s and totally dominate the course. (I love this option.)
- I wake up, don’t feel so hot, and get through the race knowing I’m doing my best considering my recent flare-up. If I have to stop along the course to use the bathroom, that’s not the end of the world. I’ll stop, then I’ll keep going. Eventually I will cross the finish line.
There are a few things that are not an option regarding tomorrow’s race:
- I will not get frustrated. My stomach is going to function however it decides. I’m sticking with my usual pre-race plan and hoping my body chooses to cooperate. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.
- I will not cry. Unless they are tears of pride and happiness, I will not let myself get upset.
- I will not beat myself up if I don’t PR. Coach Cane’s plan isn’t for me to PR tomorrow anyway. He just wants me to run a smart race with negative splits. So if by some miracle I do PR, that’s cool. But it’s absolutely acceptable if I don’t. No hard feelings on myself.
- I will not look down when I cross the finish line. My recent finish line photos have me glancing dishearteningly at my watch, clearly annoyed by my time. Tomorrow, I will smile when I hit the 13.1 mile mark.
So that’s that.
I spent last night and all day today eating smartly, resting my legs and trying not to be stressed out, because I know that worrying about the race will not help my cause.
I’m proud to say that my To Do list is in amazing shape. When things get completed, they get highlighted.
Here’s how it looked yesterday:
And here’s today as of 6:30 pm:
I got all of the Save the Dates for my best friend’s wedding addressed, stuffed into envelopes and sealed, which I’m feeling great about. That’s one big task off my list!
I also put together my official Fairfield Half Marathon playlist for tomorrow. I think it’s a pretty solid one.
Yes, you do see Celine Dion on that list. Do you even know me? No racing playlist is complete without some French Canadian melodies with a side of Legally Blonde: The Musical and a decent amount of Britney.
Playlist recipe for success.
Since I’m racing tomorrow, I was also able to sleep in this morning. No long run required! When was the last time I wasn’t up with the sun on a Saturday?!
Of course, “sleeping in” meant I woke up at 7:15 am, but it felt dang good. I was rested and happy to be able to lay in bed and lounge around for a little while before starting my day.
Eventually I set out for a 2-mile run, per Coach Cane’s orders. He said to run short miles just to get my legs moving. He requested a slow pace with a few striders mixed in to kick it up a bit. It was so hot out and I was a
gross beautiful mess after just 18 minutes of running.
After my run, I headed for Central Park for Adventures NYC.
This was such a great event! There were tons of vendors in the park, and I was (naturally) working at the JackRabbit booth.
We were there to promote the store and do some fun giveaways. We hosted a shoe lacing competition and the crowds got really into it.
I was undefeated. I’m way too competitive to “let people win.” I was excited that lots of friends stopped by, including Shannon, and I loved how much energy and enthusiasm there was in Central Park.
I got some 16 Handles on my way home (What? It’s race day fuel. Clearly.) and soon I’m going to eat some sort of pasta for dinner.
My watch is charged, my Shuffle is loaded and my outfit is picked out.
(Hairstyle is still up for debate. Suggestions?)
I’m hoping to get some solid sleep hours before my 4:30 am wakeup call tomorrow.
I’m driving up to the race with the JackRabbit crew before the 8:30 am start. It’s going to be an early morning and a long day, but I’m actually getting pretty excited. Running is fun!
My fingers are crossed for a smooth, speedy race. Whether or not tomorrow’s race is a redemption run, I know it’ll be a valuable experience for me. Game on!
Good luck to all the other runners tomorrow, in Fairfield and beyond!