- "You wanna be a big dog? Big dogs get bit." —Charlie from "Scandal." A surprising voice of reason. Just this once. about 2 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Going to the post office three days before Christmas was a GOOD idea! Everyone was very nice and pleasant! #nope about 5 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- December 18, 2014 by AliHawaii Part II: Maui!
- December 17, 2014 by AliHawaii Part I: Oahu
- December 8, 2014 by Ali“Are You Serious?!”
- November 21, 2014 by AliDon't You Forget About Me
- November 5, 2014 by Ali“This Isn’t Steamtown”: My New York City Marathon 2014 Recap
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
I Need Lists To Function
Oh hey Friday. You snuck up on me there! It’s nice to see you.
Today is going to be a bit of a crazy day (aren’t they all?), and on crazy days, I only function by way of lists.
Here’s just a little snapshot of today’s “Get All This Done” list:
So yeah… I’ll work on those things. Right away.
As soon as I get done with the work day.
To continue with my listy ways, here are 5 things I’d like to share with you today:
1. I talked to my doctor yesterday. (We’re getting the health news out of the way first, because it’s getting old to talk about, I know.) He got my bloodwork results and said that my “inflammatory markers are very high.” He went on to say, “So yeah, it looks like you are definitely have a flare.” You think? We’ve now doubled my steroid dose (I’m up to 4 pills/day), so expect chubby-faced Ali to appear any day now.
He also said that my white blood cell count is very high (typical when I’m sick) but that I’m not anemic and my iron levels are fine. So the dizziness is unrelated, but it’s also calmed down over the past few days, which is good.
2. I am racing this weekend. As I’ve mentioned, the Fairfield Half Marathon is on Sunday. That means I’m doing a little tapering: today is a rest day (I embrace them now — I hope everyone is proud) and tomorrow will be a 2-mile run with a few striders to keep my legs moving.
Because there’s a race on the horizon, that also means I am officially into hypochondriac mode. Sure, there’s the Crohn’s Disease thing, which is an actual concern, but I’ve also diagnosed myself with a myriad of other problems this week, including a “pulled back of my knee,” “toenail pain,” “shattered spine disease” and “permanent nose boogers.” I’m sure these very-real ailments will all clear up by Sunday, but they’re on my mind for now. This is the torture I bring upon myself. I’m a mental racer. Anyone else?
3. I let my coworker pick my outfit today and I’m not thrilled about it. It’s her last day and she requested an outfit. I don’t necessarily think I would’ve gone with jeans and long-sleeves on a muggy, 80-degree day, but hey, I obliged.
And if the rodeo stops by NYC tonight, I’m ready to go.
4. I’ve been kind of behind in blog reading lately (Maybe I should finally get on the Google Reader bandwagon so I can keep track of things? No. Too stressful. Bad idea, Ali.) but there are two posts I think you should all go read if you haven’t already:
- Becky’s post about deciding not to run a fall marathon. She writes: “Running makes me a runner. Marathons do not.” I absolutely love that. I think as runners we all get so caught up in racing sometimes and, especially during training, run the risk of losing sight of the real reason we run. Obviously some people are in this game to win it. I am not one of those people — I don’t foresee myself ever winning a race, unless it’s a race to 16 Handles or something. Running doesn’t have to be stressful. When it gets to that point, reel it back in. Becky is level-headed and I so admire her post today.
- Tina’s post about being diagnosed with Colitis. This information blew my mind yesterday and I can’t stop thinking about it. I’ve read and re-read her update no fewer than 10 times and am still working my way through all the amazing comments people left. It baffles me that someone so healthy and wonderful can suddenly be diagnosed with something so crummy. I feel like I’m in a different boat, which almost makes me lucky: Since I’ve had Crohn’s Disease my entire life, there hasn’t been a huge adjustment period for me. Yes, the flare-ups are really challenging and oftentimes traumatic, but I can’t imagine just getting the disease now and having to learn so much about it. I’m even more honored to be raising money for the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation now that I know the money is going to help one more person I truly care about.
5. I need to make my race day playlist tonight and I’m so sick of all my music. If you have great suggestions, please send them my way.
Phew. Little list done — now onto the bigger lists!
TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD: Have you read a really great post recently? Something funny, life-changing, thought-provoking or inspiring? I’m planning a low-key evening and restful weekend, so I’m hoping to have some time to catch up on blogs. Share your must-reads!