Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- May 27, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 242: Shalane Flanagan
- May 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 241: On the Job with JoMarie Flores, Funeral Director
- May 21, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 240: Lee Glandorf, Tracksmith Head of Communications
- May 20, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 239: Dinée Dorame, Citizen of the Navajo Nation
- May 13, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 238: Sasha Wolff, Founder of Still I Run
It’s been a whirlwind couple of days and I have a pretty strong feeling today is going to kick my butt. After working from home two days last week then taking Friday off to travel to Charlotte, it’s safe to say I’m way behind at the office and in life.
In case you’re behind as well, here’s what’s been happening in Ali Land:
- I spent the weekend in Charlotte, NC, visiting my “Real Best Friend,” Becky.
- We enjoyed a jam-packed weekend of eating, boating and catching up, and I got the confidence boost I needed from a 12-mile run on Saturday.
- I paid a little tribute to my kick-ass Dad in honor of Father’s Day.
- I wrote a guest post for Megan at The Runner’s Kitchen listing 10 reasons it’s better to put on sneakers than hit Snooze.
All caught up? Good.
My flight back to NYC yesterday morning was easy and uneventful. I slept the entire time and we even landed 20 minutes early. Thank you, JetBlue!
As much as I enjoyed my trip and can’t wait to go back to Charlotte, I always love returning to my own apartment. I squeezed in a late-afternoon 3-ish mile run then ran some errands in the neighborhood.
I spent the evening walking around Central Park with a friend, feeling incredibly lucky that I live in NYC.
People, if you’re in Central Park on the weekend, make sure you check out the roller disco area near The Mall and The Bandshell. It. Is. Awesome.
We stood there and watched for probably 30 minutes. It was addicting and made me want to put on roller skates…which would inevitably lead to my death I’m sure.
After lots of walking, a sushi dinner, a stop at 16 Handles and some shameless watching of the Miss USA pageant, I was ready to pass out.
Well, pass out and wake up several times throughout the night.
A health update: So I mentioned on Thursday that my doctor put me on Prednisone, which is a steroid that usually helps calm down any Crohn’s flare-ups that decide to pop up in my life and make me miserable. He has me on a fairly low dose, and while I think it’s kicking it, it’s taking longer than I would like.
Case in point: lots of lost sleep lately due to stomach pain. The mornings are the worst. I’ve been waking up around 2:30 am most nights and can’t get back to sleep because the pain is pretty bad. I do not enjoy this. But I know it’s just a matter of time before I’m sleeping through the night again and feeling better.
So that’s the stomach. Slowly but surely I think I’m feeling better. Though secretly I want to just take the entire bottle of Prednisone at once to make the effect a bit stronger.
Relax, Mom, I’m not going to.
But the other weird health thing that I haven’t been mentioning is some pretty bad dizziness.
Lately I’ve been really dizzy. Every time I stand up from my desk at work I find myself having to stop and get steady before I can really walk. (I did mention this to my doctor, which is when he insisted I was pregnant. I’m still not.)
During Saturday’s run, we were climbing the last hill toward mile 12 when suddenly I got super dizzy — like, scary dizzy.
I apparently yelled John’s name and told him to stop, which I don’t really remember.
I had to stop, put my head between my legs and wait for the feeling to pass. It wasn’t a great feeling.
I have no idea why the dizziness is happening. I’m staying plenty hydrated and I’m eating enough, but I feel like my head is constantly spinning and foggy. I don’t love it.
I’m hoping to make time to get in to see my doctor this week to do another blood test and see what’s going on. This week is a busy one, so I need to feel better!
Why is this week so busy? I will tell you:
- Gym tonight — it’s a cross training day!
- Addressing Save the Dates tonight (since we didn’t do a single one this weekend)
- Dinner with some lady friends tomorrow night
- Getting trained on the new computer system at work all day Wednesday
- A “Vino y Yoga” event at Pure Yoga on Wednesday night
- Plus lots of running and some resting leading up to Sunday’s Fairfield Half Marathon
That’s right. I’m running a half marathon this weekend. Crap.
And I’m wearing a new white shirt from Madewell. That makes me happy today.
I’m on a jeans kick lately. Maybe that’s just because I didn’t have time to shower this morning and was feeling rushed.
CARE TO SHARE? Tell me the best part of your weekend.