- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
No Stress, No Crohn’s
I’m pleased to report that I’m feeling good today. I got a solid 5 hours of sleep (I know, I know, not enough — but it was good, air conditioned sleep) and woke up today rested and ready to kick off a 3-day work week.
In case, like me, you went mostly unplugged for the weekend, here’s what you missed:
- I saw The Hangover Part II on Friday night. It was funny, but a bit over the top.
- I wrote a guest post for Theodora, one of my favorite bloggers, about being a runner and dealing with a crappy (ha) stomach.
- I had a serious sweat-fest on Saturday. My day kicked off with an 8-mile run, followed by a spin class.
- I went to an amazing wedding on Saturday night in Brooklyn. And just a few hours later I boarded a flight to Boston and hopped a bus to New Hampshire to surprise my mom for her birthday.
And now here we are.
The trip back to NYC was super smooth last night. We sat on the runway at Logan Airport for a while, per usual, but the 40-minute flight flew by and I was spoiled by having a friend pick me up at the airport. I saved the $50+ on cab fare and didn’t have to sit in traffic with a smelly driver.
My friend was not smelly.
Just very kind.
I unpacked as soon as I got home, eventually got some rest and was excited to wake up and kick off today’s week of training.
When I woke up this morning at 5 I felt good. I didn’t feel tired. My stomach didn’t hurt. I just felt good.
I suited up, did my usual morning things, then headed to Central Park. Coach Cane had me doing three laps of the Reservoir (one lap is about 1.6 miles). I did the first mile of each loop at my half marathon goal pace then jogged the rest of the loop.
(I’ll admit, I’ve been kind of missing all of my river sunrise photos. Anyone else? No. OK.)
I am pleased to say that I finally had a great run today! Redemption!
My pace was solid. I was lagging in the past few weeks, but today I cruised, sticking at a sub-8:00 mile pace. My second lap even clocked in at 7:45. It was such a good feeling.
After weeks of being frustrated by my miserable stomach and my heavy legs, it was so reassuring to get out there today and feel like a runner again.
I smiled a lot this morning.
So here’s the thing: While there aren’t a ton of definite answers about Crohn’s Disease, most doctors (and my mom) agree that flare-ups are brought on by stress.
I find it interesting that during the past few weeks (ugh, and months) when I’ve been stressed to the max (not The Maxx where Zack Morris hangs out, just the maximum amount of stress…different things) my stomach basically fell apart.
Yet after one weekend of blissful relaxation, I somehow got through today’s run — plus a long bike ride yesterday and a speedy run on Sunday — feeling great.
So yeah, doctors, I think you’re pretty spot on when you say stress = Crohn’s. This weekend I didn’t think about work, I didn’t think about my To Do list and I didn’t worry about blogging, Tweeting or anything social media related. I just enjoyed life and spending time with loved ones. I very rarely get into that mindset and obviously need to try zoning out more if I want to live healthier.
Note to self: Be less stressed. Somehow.
Perhaps one way to live stress-free is to wear very bright clothing. Because it makes you happy…or something.
One of the best things on a hot day — other than a cold shower, such as the one I took this morning — is the simplicity of a cotton dress.
I bought this hot pink little guy yesterday at the Banana Republic outlet. Getting dressed took roughly six seconds this morning. I also threw on a lot of bling in an attempt to make it look more office-y and less beachy.
I’m hoping my stomach stays chilled out so I can enjoy this sure-to-be-beautiful week.
TELL ME: In the spirit of catching up, tell me the BEST, most exciting part of your weekend.