Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Sending love to NYC. <3 about 51 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Running this weekend? Take @Abby_NYC & me with you! You'll learn! You'll laugh! You'll get stronger & faster! https://t.co/QMPaYNzT18 07:43:24 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Also Karla Johnson, Karen Hildebrand, & Kate Lydon — the three women who believed a 25-year-old could become an edi… https://t.co/B62UZNv5qj 05:12:52 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- LOVE THIS. @BariLieberman for assigning me my first major mag byline, @rjacoby13 for graciously making magical conn… https://t.co/IrC5uIqCO0 05:10:51 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 6, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 49: Abby Bales, Founder of Reform Physical Therapy
- December 4, 2017 by AliMaking It Count
- November 29, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 48: Sally Bergesen, CEO & Founder of Oiselle
- November 22, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 47: Brian Cristiano's Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 46: Allie Kieffer
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
My First Outdoor Yoga Class
Not only did we all survive the week, we’re also officially into summer. Happy long weekend!
I’m pretty pumped about the fact that my office is closing at 1 pm today. I’m even more pumped about the fact that I have no plans after that.
…although I’m fairly certain 16 Handles will make an appearance in my life today.
But let’s go back to yesterday, because some stuff happened. And now I will tell you about it.
So remember how I have been
complaining nonstop talking about the fact that I feel like crap? I finally feel like I’m caught up on sleep after last weekend’s half marathon/all-nighter fiasco, but my stomach still hasn’t been cooperating.
Yesterday I took a visit to my GI doctor to see what’s up.
“So what’s going on?” he asked me.
“Well, I’m training for a marathon, so I need you to fix me,” I replied.
“Haven’t you already done a bunch of marathons?” he inquired.
“No, those were half marathons. Now I’m training for a full marathon,” I kindly clarified.
“OK, well running is risky for anyone, especially you, having Crohn’s. You run the risk of also getting Colitis. It’s rare, but it does happen, especially with marathoners.”
He asked me how I’ve been feeling and I said that I’ve been run down, abnormally exhausted and nauseous on top of the stomach troubles that have been plagueing my daily runs.
“You need to take a pregnancy test,” he said.
“I assure you I do not,” I shot back.
“Well I want you to take one.”
Sorry Mom, no grandkids for you. Though I’m sure you’re relieved.
The nurse came in and took some blood so that we can check my hemoglobin and CED rate, which usually indicates whether or not I’m having a Crohn’s flare-up. I’ll be able to call today to get the results and then I’ll know a little more about what’s going on with my body.
And that’s my update. My GI doctor thinks I shouldn’t run a marathon and mistook my potential flare-up symptoms for the presence of a child. Excellent.
After the appointment, though, my day was awesome.
I finally tried out Lululemon’s free yoga classes in Bryant Park!
If you’re looking for a fun, low-key, totally relaxed yoga class (that’s also free), I definitely recommend going.
I got there about half an hour before class started, which gave me time to snag a mat in the second row (yoga is the only class where I avoid the front row!) and spend some quality time people watching.
Take note: If you take class, people will watch you. Tourists will take your picture. Videographers will appear out of nowhere, shooting what is obviously a documentary about amateur yogis Downward Dogging amidst skyscrapers.
Last night’s weather was perfect for outdoor yoga — and this was my first time doing a yoga class outside of a studio. It was pretty tough balancing on the grass, but the wobbling didn’t bother me. There was a warm breeze and everyone just seemed so happy to be outside.
I was also a sucker for the brightly-colored yoga mats provided by Lululemon. You obviously have the option of bringing your own, but they have tons for you to use as well.
The best part? Running into my gym buddy, CJ, before class started! She works near Bryant Park and came by — looking fabulous — for pre-yoga hugs.
The class was led by Matt Giordano, who is an ambassador at the Lululemon Lincoln Square store. He also teaches regularly at Pure Yoga (and gave out free passes at the end of class!) and Earth Yoga.
Matt kept the class light and fun and I appreciated that he wasn’t too preachy. (Not my style.)
I also appreciated the non-threatening atmosphere. Yes, there were some fit chicks rocking the Side Crow pose, but there were also people in jeans who spent most of the class in Child’s Pose. I never felt intimidated, which often happens in yoga studios. Matt also had an assistant who was walking through the crowd helping with adjustment. So despite the fact that there were probably 200 people there, you still got a bit of individual attention.
Plus, the views were awesome. Doing a sun salutation when you’re actually, um, reaching toward the sun, is a cool feeling. It’s amazing that you can feel all zenned out with Times Square just blocks away.
Thanks, Matt and Lululemon, for a great class!
The rest of my evening involved veggie pizza on whole wheat crust (my current obsession) and “So You Think You Can Dance.”
It also involved me waking up with my bedspread turned upside down. Weird.
My bed goes both ways.
That was lame. I’m sorry.
I was running extremely late today, which is amazing since it’s a running rest day. I’m hoping to hit up a spinning class this afternoon but otherwise I’ll be resting up for a longer run tomorrow.
And a warm day calls for a sundress, don’t you think?
The countdown is on: 4 hours until the long weekend commences!
TELL ME: What are your fun Memorial Day plans?