Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Sending love to NYC. <3 about 23 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Running this weekend? Take @Abby_NYC & me with you! You'll learn! You'll laugh! You'll get stronger & faster! https://t.co/QMPaYNzT18 07:43:24 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Also Karla Johnson, Karen Hildebrand, & Kate Lydon — the three women who believed a 25-year-old could become an edi… https://t.co/B62UZNv5qj 05:12:52 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 6, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 49: Abby Bales, Founder of Reform Physical Therapy
- December 4, 2017 by AliMaking It Count
- November 29, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 48: Sally Bergesen, CEO & Founder of Oiselle
- November 22, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 47: Brian Cristiano's Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 46: Allie Kieffer
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
My Brain Says Go, My Body Says No
I’m writing this post from the comfort of my own apartment, where I’ve set up shop for the day.
(Needless to say there will be no office bathroom outfit photo today — I’m wearing pajamas right now.)
My body is feeling pretty run down today. Between the recent stomach issues and a huge lack of sleep, I’m not feeling so hot.
Yesterday after work I went to the gym for some simple strength training. No cardio. Just a Chisel class. I actually felt totally fine during the class, and then I walked most of the way home, which was nice. Fresh air does a body good.
I also got my photos from the Brooklyn Half Marathon. In case you thought they’d be good, you were wrong.
So those entertained me for a while.
Will I be purchasing any for the keeping? Absolutely not.
I didn’t get great sleep last night, and when my alarm went off at 5 am I pretty much shook my head, said “No way,” and emailed my boss that I’d be taking a sick day. She wrote a very sweet response that may as well have said “I get it, you’re training for a marathon. Take care of yourself. Seriously.”
P.S. Don’t die.
It was amazing staying in bed for a few extra hours this morning. My body was pretty happy.
Coach Cane wanted me to run 5 miles today, including a warm-up, two laps of the Central Park Reservoir at my half marathon goal pace, and a cool-down.
After getting some extra rest, I actually thought I felt OK enough to run.
I’m not always the brightest.
So I suited up, and I went for it…in the heat.
The warm-up was OK. It took me a while to, well, warm-up.
The first lap of the Reservoir went surprisingly well. I maintained a 7:45 pace for most of it.
Then, like a shovel to the face (or something?), I got hit. Exhaustion took over. My second lap was not so speedy. It wasn’t my favorite run.
I ran in lots of puddles though, which is always fun.
Due to the humidity, I was a sweaty beast by the time I got back to my apartment.
Sometimes, like when I’m dripping sweat all over my wood floors, I think about how happy I am to live alone. Judgment free zone.
But I rewarded myself for getting the run done by putting my awesome new, white sheets on my bed. The Bed Makeover Project of 2011 is officially complete!
I’m big on the reward system. Yesterday I purchased a massage gift certificate for myself. I’ll wait until something awesome happens to cash in on it, though. Perhaps a PR at the Fairfield Half Marathon?
So now I have the rest of my day to relax. Naturally, though, I made a To Do list for my sick day, and it has roughly 21 items on it. If I’m home I may as well be productive right? There’s also a trip to the doctor’s office in order. Such a fun day, huh?!
I’D LIKE TO KNOW: Are you motivated by rewards? How do you treat yourself or reward yourself after doing something awesome?