- How am I STILL not feeling back to normal?? This food poisoning thing is some bullshit. about 24 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #TBT to the best breakfast surprise ever. #giraffemanor #photobomb #SURPRISE @ Giraffe Manor https://t.co/FCIQEvonWn about 29 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- OK soooo...based off Brian's current condition, there is maybe a slight chance I've had a stomach bug, not food poisoning. TBD #notmyfault about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: On food poisoning, #OITNB, and what I'm writing lately. https://t.co/TELQO1NSzK about 12 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- June 29, 2016 by AliDon't Get Food Poisoning
- June 17, 2016 by AliFridays With Gap-Toothed Ellie
- June 16, 2016 by AliThankful Things Thursday: For When We Really Need It
- June 13, 2016 by AliNYRR New York Mini 10K Recap
- June 6, 2016 by AliWhat I'm Watching, Writing, Reading, Eating, Loving, & Listening To Lately
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
My Longest Run
So this is my life now…
Staying in on Friday nights, eating lots of food.
Waking up early on Saturday mornings.
Running for what seems like most of the day on Saturday.
Then plopping my butt on the couch until someone forces me to move.
I’m oddly excited for this. Marathon training is going to be awesome.
I didn’t set an alarm to wake up this morning, but at 7 am my body was apparently ready to get started.
I won’t start an official training plan for the Hamptons Marathon until Monday when Coach Cane sends it to me. The plan for today was to “run.” I’m running the Brooklyn Half Marathon in mid-May, so technically the plan was to “run long, maybe 11 miles.”
But then I thought, “Hey Ali, what if you ran even longer? What if you just tried it out, to see what you’re capable of?”
Up until today, my longest run was 13.3 miles, the day I started this blog in October.
So I set out this morning in beautiful 50-degree weather, thinking maybe I’d just try to do a little more than that.
I started by running to Central Park.
Then I ran a loop in the park.
The first loop, which covered about six miles, felt great. No shin pain, no leg pain, just a beautiful morning to be outside running.
On my second time around, I ran into the Revlon Run/Walk for Women.
Bad crowd control.
The road got way too packed for my liking, so this was my cue to exit the park.
Off to my old favorite stomping ground: the West Side Highway!
As I left the park, 8ish miles into my run, I was parched.
Unfortunately that little guy wasn’t up and running yet. Central Park shuts off all the water fountains during the winter, and you’d think they’d all be turned back on by now, but apparently not.
So I ran across Columbus Circle, one of my favorite spots in NYC, toward the Hudson River.
The West Side Highway was just the way I remembered it: quiet, not too crowded and oh-so-flat.
The west side also had its act together.
Yup. Working water fountains. Muy bueno. (I was a Spanish minor. See how I put that degree to such good use?)
I turned around at Christopher Street and ran back north, ending my run at Theodora‘s apartment in midtown.
Total mileage: 14.5.
Total amount of sweat and salt on my face by the end of the run: impossible to measure.
I’m so pumped about this run. I started out fast — probably too fast — and my stride definitely slowed for a while in the middle.
I was able to pick it back up in the last few miles, though, and I never felt like I had to stop or like I was going to die.
That’s probably a good thing.
I’m confident that I can add 11.7 more miles on to what I did today. I’m confident that I can run a marathon.
OK, so why did I go to Theodora’s apartment instead of my own, you ask? (If you didn’t ask, you can skip this part I guess. It involves puppies though.)
Theodora spent her day being a great citizen and volunteering downtown.
That meant someone needed to take this guy out!
Your life is so hard, Bailey.
I took him for a little walk, which was a good thing for both of us.
It was good for me because without this walk, I wouldn’t have properly cooled down and probably would have just gone home and sat on my couch without letting my legs recover.
It was good for Bailey because he got to pee on everything in sight and take a nice poop.
We walked around the area for a while and then my legs said, “Couch time. Now.”
Bailey didn’t care about me leaving.
He knows I’m not his mom. You can’t replace her.
Now I’m showered, fed and being super lazy until I head out for a big night tonight.
My dear friend Alex is getting married in a few weeks.
Tonight we’re celebrating her pending nuptials by taking a hip hop class, then doing other fun things that will involve more dancing, food and drinks.
I hope my legs can handle it.
Now who wants to make sure there’s a puppy for me to play with at the marathon finish line in September?
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!