- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- October 21, 2014 by Ali10 Reasons The Runner's World Half Marathon & Festival Was Wonderful (Plus A Giveaway!)
- October 15, 2014 by AliSteamtown Marathon Recap
- October 11, 2014 by AliOne More Day I Get To Run
- October 7, 2014 by AliRagnar Relay Adirondacks Recap
- September 23, 2014 by Ali71 & Done
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
I Want A Medal
It’s no secret that I love medals.
I love getting them at the end of races, and I’m very disappointed that my next half marathon — the Brooklyn Half in May — doesn’t give medals to its finishers.
(Though I suppose if I learned to be super fast and actually place in a race then I could always get a medal, or a cool certificate or some cash…)
But today I would like a medal for another reason.
Today I want a medal because I didn’t run. And for me, I feel like that’s kind of a big deal.
I really like to run.
My legs definitely needed a rest day. Last night before bed I feel a teeny tiny ache in my right shin. I immediately diagnosed myself with shin splints and stress fractures and declared that I would not run in the morning.
Even though it was 60-something degrees.
Even though the sun was shining.
Even though my pretty new sneakers really want attention.
And even though I can think of no better way to start my day than with a lovely run along the river.
But I didn’t do it. I’m resting this morning.
I hope everyone is happy.
I still plan to spend the rest of the day re-fueling as if I ran a half marathon this morning. Trail mix? Yes please. The rest of the decapitated bunny? I’ll get to it before noon.
In other news, I woke up feeling sick — again!
At this point I’m convinced that it absolutely must be allergies. Last week when it rained I felt fine. Now the sun is back out, the flowers are blooming and I swear I’m allergic to the sun.
I will take Claritin. I will survive.
And in the meantime, I’ll be the girl hacking at my desk and putting up a fight when everyone groans, “Uh, Alison, go home. You’re disgusting.”
Despite my snot-filled nose and closed-up throat (don’t be intimidated by my sexiness), I did manage to put an outfit together today that makes me feel healthy.
(My face looks very red in this photo. Probably because I worked up a serious sweat walking to the office this morning. Again, with the sexiness…)
I can’t wait until after Memorial Day so I can start wearing my plethora of white outfits. White skirts, white shorts, white pants, white shoes. I really wish I didn’t care so much about the “No white before Memorial Day” rule, but that’s just how I was raised. Thanks a lot, Mom.
Coming up today:
- More deadlines. More meetings.
- 12 pm = I find out if I’m in the NYC Marathon. Whoa.
- Definitely taking a walk outside to enjoy the sun.
- My favorite spinning class after work.
SOMETHING IT’S IMPERATIVE THAT I KNOW RIGHT NOW: Tell me about compression socks. I’ve never worn them, but I feel like a lot of distance runners swear by them. If you wear them, tell me why (please). I’d love to know if you always wear them, what kind you wear, if your favorite brand makes lime green socks and what wearing compression socks has done for your running. Also, do you wear them while you run or only for recovery?