Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Long running = #podcast listening! If you want company on your run today, I will run "with you!" https://t.co/jNnDqbmcKj about 4 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Go through life with conviction, passion, integrity, and chocolate. about 19 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Just a reminder to do what YOU want to do & not worry about the noise or what everyone else is doing. about 19 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- March 23, 2017 by AliThursday Thoughts
- March 23, 2017 by AliEpisode 13: Chris Mosier, Transgender Athlete & Advocate
- March 21, 2017 by AliEpisode 12: Thoughts We Had During Our First Half Marathons
- March 16, 2017 by AliHow I Finally Got Over My Body Issues
- March 16, 2017 by AliEpisode 11: Candice Huffine, Model, Runner, and Founder of Project Start
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
I Want A Medal
It’s no secret that I love medals.
I love getting them at the end of races, and I’m very disappointed that my next half marathon — the Brooklyn Half in May — doesn’t give medals to its finishers.
(Though I suppose if I learned to be super fast and actually place in a race then I could always get a medal, or a cool certificate or some cash…)
But today I would like a medal for another reason.
Today I want a medal because I didn’t run. And for me, I feel like that’s kind of a big deal.
I really like to run.
My legs definitely needed a rest day. Last night before bed I feel a teeny tiny ache in my right shin. I immediately diagnosed myself with shin splints and stress fractures and declared that I would not run in the morning.
Even though it was 60-something degrees.
Even though the sun was shining.
Even though my pretty new sneakers really want attention.
And even though I can think of no better way to start my day than with a lovely run along the river.
But I didn’t do it. I’m resting this morning.
I hope everyone is happy.
I still plan to spend the rest of the day re-fueling as if I ran a half marathon this morning. Trail mix? Yes please. The rest of the decapitated bunny? I’ll get to it before noon.
In other news, I woke up feeling sick — again!
At this point I’m convinced that it absolutely must be allergies. Last week when it rained I felt fine. Now the sun is back out, the flowers are blooming and I swear I’m allergic to the sun.
I will take Claritin. I will survive.
And in the meantime, I’ll be the girl hacking at my desk and putting up a fight when everyone groans, “Uh, Alison, go home. You’re disgusting.”
Despite my snot-filled nose and closed-up throat (don’t be intimidated by my sexiness), I did manage to put an outfit together today that makes me feel healthy.
(My face looks very red in this photo. Probably because I worked up a serious sweat walking to the office this morning. Again, with the sexiness…)
I can’t wait until after Memorial Day so I can start wearing my plethora of white outfits. White skirts, white shorts, white pants, white shoes. I really wish I didn’t care so much about the “No white before Memorial Day” rule, but that’s just how I was raised. Thanks a lot, Mom.
Coming up today:
- More deadlines. More meetings.
- 12 pm = I find out if I’m in the NYC Marathon. Whoa.
- Definitely taking a walk outside to enjoy the sun.
- My favorite spinning class after work.
SOMETHING IT’S IMPERATIVE THAT I KNOW RIGHT NOW: Tell me about compression socks. I’ve never worn them, but I feel like a lot of distance runners swear by them. If you wear them, tell me why (please). I’d love to know if you always wear them, what kind you wear, if your favorite brand makes lime green socks and what wearing compression socks has done for your running. Also, do you wear them while you run or only for recovery?