Follow Me - AliOnTheRun1
- NYC, showing up big this morning. #nyc #nofilter #sunrise http://t.co/QNL4anSBTB about 12 hours ago
- Huge THANK YOU @runnersworld @RWHalf @LifesABeachy @BartYasso @dwilleyRW for the best weekend. Truly loved every sweaty minute. #RWHalf 01:28:58 PM October 19, 2014
- 1:51:38 unofficial for the @runnersworld Half and LOOK WHO I FOUND AT THE FINISH!!! Such an awesome… http://t.co/ig4l47I6zC 10:47:18 AM October 19, 2014
- "Never take a finish line for granted." Love that from @BartYasso at #RWHalf. 03:39:15 PM October 18, 2014
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Everyone talks about that awesome, unbeatable runner’s high that you got from an especially long/fast/encouraging run.
I rode my National Half Marathon high for weeks.
People don’t really talk much about other kinds of fitness highs though.
Note: I wish I had thought to write this post on 4/20. Silly me for not having the stoner brain to think of that sooner.
I think that a spinner’s high is just as effective and intense — though completely different — as a runner’s high.
Every Wednesday I avoid making post-work social plans. If I absolutely have to make plans, I make them for 7:30 pm or later.
Wednesday = my favorite spinning class.
Wednesday = my favorite day of the week because of that class.
It’s a do-not-miss.
I love this class for a few reasons:
- The instructor, Matt, is unbelievable. He motivates me like few people can. Sometimes I think he’s inside my brain and knows just what to say to get my legs pumping. At the end of class he almost always tells us, “What you just did isn’t easy! I know many people who wouldn’t even step foot in this room.” His cute smile doesn’t hurt, either.
- The music is great. Sometimes we warm up to something from “Glee.” Sometimes there’s a remix that involves Lady Gaga. Toward the end there’s almost always a slow song played during a painfully long hill climb. One week, just days after the breakup, he played Adele’s “Someone Like You” and I burst into tears on the bike. Luckily my sweat masked the tears. I hope? A week after the breakup, when I had convinced myself that I was worthless, he played Pink’s “F**kin’ Perfect” and Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way.” I think he gets me somehow.
- I have buddies in class. CJ (I know you’re reading this — hi!) always comes to class and almost always sits next to me. It’s nice having that extra bit of motivation to get to class and it’s fun having someone to chat with before class gets going.
- The energy is palpable. Seriously, the people who come to take this class work hard. They scream, they shout, they cheer and they make weird grunting noise. I love it. No one is there to slack off.
After tonight’s class I was sweatier than ever. I walked out of the gym into the warm NYC air feeling like I was floating. I worked hard. I felt good.
I totally got high on spinning.
Don’t worry, Mom. It’s legal.
Other awesome things happened on my way home tonight…
I love New York.
Also, spotted on my block, the latest etchings of Señor De La Vega, chalk artist extraordinaire:
OK so there’s an extra “L” in there, but this note may as well be written for me, especially since it’s right on my block. “Your mind has the amazing ability to organize chaos.” Heck yeah.
Dinner tonight was homemade pizza.
Dessert tonight was 16 Handles — eaten way too fast for me to take a photo. Sorry. You should have expected that, though.
And for those who have been asking, no, I didn’t get into the NYC Marathon today via the much-anticipated lottery. That’s OK, though. One marathon this year should be plenty! Plus, spectating the marathon is a blast in itself!
Speaking of marathon things, tomorrow is my first meeting with Coach Cane! I can’t wait!
Lastly, thank you for all the great feedback on compression socks. Obviously I plan on buying a pair ASAP.
In lime green, of course.
NOW LET’S TALK: What gets you high? If the answer is drugs, that’s fine. But I’m thinking more along the lines of a certain exercise, a delicious food, a chat with an old friend, a hug from a cute grandmother (or puppy), etc.