Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Sending love to NYC. <3 about 51 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Running this weekend? Take @Abby_NYC & me with you! You'll learn! You'll laugh! You'll get stronger & faster! https://t.co/QMPaYNzT18 07:43:24 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Also Karla Johnson, Karen Hildebrand, & Kate Lydon — the three women who believed a 25-year-old could become an edi… https://t.co/B62UZNv5qj 05:12:52 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- LOVE THIS. @BariLieberman for assigning me my first major mag byline, @rjacoby13 for graciously making magical conn… https://t.co/IrC5uIqCO0 05:10:51 PM December 08, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- December 6, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 49: Abby Bales, Founder of Reform Physical Therapy
- December 4, 2017 by AliMaking It Count
- November 29, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 48: Sally Bergesen, CEO & Founder of Oiselle
- November 22, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 47: Brian Cristiano's Great Turkey Trot of 2014
- November 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 46: Allie Kieffer
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
The Best Investment
Today has all the makings of a great day. Want to know why?
Well first of all, it’s Friday. Isn’t that reason enough to be happy? Fine. I’ll give you more reasons…
I woke up this morning with a nasty cough. Yes, it’s sexy. But the upside to having this cough is that every time I cough, I feel better, at least for a few minutes. Also, I don’t have a stuffy nose or any other symptoms. So there’s the upside to being “sick” — you could always be sicker!
I woke up this morning ready to run, despite said cough. Since I’m running the Scotland 10K on Sunday, I’m thinking of taking tomorrow as a running rest day. That meant I could run today! I hit up Central Park for 5.5 miles.
Now I’m pretty much over the word epic because I think it’s overused lately and I’m tired of reading it everywhere. But I can think of no better way to describe this morning’s sunrise over the park. It was stunning and spectacular and yes, epic.
I didn’t run around the Reservoir today — I stuck to the park’s main road — but I did jet up there to take a quick photo because I couldn’t resist.
People ask me all the time if I think I’ll live in New York City forever, and on morning’s like this one I can’t think of a single reason to leave. Sorry, Mom.
I didn’t feel great as I ran. The hills kicked my butt and my hacking didn’t help. But the downhills were fantastic and I was happy to be in the park surrounded by runners and bikers.
I also got to spend some time with my new neighbor as I waited for the stop light to change…
Isn’t he handsome? His name is Solomon Guggenheim and I plan on spending lots of time walking by him and taking photos of him.
He was so nice this morning, he even posed for a quick photo with me.
When I arrived back home, I was excited for a hot shower.
Unfortunately, this little apartment of mine had other plans in mind.
The water wouldn’t get hot. Not the shower water. Not the sink water. No hot water.
I managed to dunk my head under the bathtub faucet long enough to get it wet and washed my face, but other than that I’m roaming the office like a dirty girl today. A throaty cough and no shower? I think it’s impossible to feel any more attractive today.
I still haven’t unpacked all my clothes (I swear, I’m getting that done this weekend), so this is what I sift through to get dressed in the morning:
I was so distraught over my lack of shower that I grabbed the first things I found that I knew were clean…
And then, the best part of my day so far: I got an amazing package — my first one at the new apartment! — from my friend Sarah, who lives in Boston (well, Somerville, whatever).
She is so thoughtful and sent me great things I can use in the new place, including the softest towels I have ever felt, a batter dispenser, a spatula and spoon and, because she knows the real key to my heart, chocolate in the forms of Cadbury Mini Eggs and Nestle Flipz.
Sarah is the mastermind behind my beautiful hula hoop. Shameless plug for a fabulous friend: Go to her site and order a hoop. She makes beautiful custom ones and they are super fun to play with.
The last thing I want to share today:
I’ve written about James De La Vega — the awesome artist whose chalk inspirations are all over Central Park and NYC — a few times. Usually I see his “Become Your Dream” scrawlings, but today I saw this one: “You are your best investment.” I loved it.
Keep that in mind, people.
And now, off to find more ways to make this a good day…dirty hair and all.
SO I WANT TO KNOW: What’s your motivational mantra? Not just fitness related, but in life — what phrase keeps you motivated and inspired?