Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- I’m at a loss for words because I’ve had like six glasses of champagne, but mostly, today is the best. This week ha… https://t.co/dh5NdfccI6 about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: The best parts of my week. There were so many! https://t.co/J72EjfuQDn 11:41:22 AM January 17, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- January 17, 2020 by AliThe 10 Best Parts of My Week
- January 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 199: My 2020 Visions, Plans, Hopes, & Dreams
- January 14, 2020 by AliAnnie Update: 15 Months
- January 10, 2020 by AliThis Week
- January 8, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 198: Rachel Gersten, Co-Founder of Viva Wellness
Prep Week Check-In
I’m running on not enough sleep today due to a late-night work event. I attended a gala at New York University’s Skirball Center, which I had never been to. The venue was gorgeous, and I love anything that brings me to the Washington Square Park area since I get down there so rarely.
The views from the ballroom were stunning. I stood at the floor-to-ceiling windows with my coworkers and obsessed over my love for New York City. Some days the city kicks my butt, but most days I feel so lucky to live here.
Unfortunately I didn’t get home until close to 12, giving me less than the desired amount of sleep I was hoping for.
But that’s OK, because I have a half day today! I’ll be leaving the office in the early afternoon to run errands and get things done so that I can leave for D.C. Friday morning feeling stress-free.
In other news, it’s snow/raining in the city today. Gross.
I won’t go on about that, because it doesn’t make me cheerful.
Let’s get down to business…
On Sunday night, I wrote about my plans for the taper week leading up to Saturday’s half marathon. Since we’re mid-way through the week, I figured I’d check in on myself to see how well I’m tapering:
- Carbo loading — starting now. Check! I’ve been pretty much eating whatever I want. Yes, that has included more than a few handfuls of Cadbury Mini Eggs (thanks, Mom!), but I’ve also been downing lots of vegetables and plan on eating some hefty pasta meals within the next few days.
- Staying hydrated. Check! This one is easy because I love water and drink it all day long even when I’m not in race day mode.
- Not drinking alcohol. Check! While everyone was sucking down red wine at dinner last night, I stuck with H2O. My boss was surprised. Good to know I have a reputation around here…
- Getting rest. Not quite check. I was doing well at the beginning of the week, but last night I only got about 5 quality hours of sleep.
- Making lists. Duh, check! I have my packing list made, my playlist made, my travel folder made and my grocery list ready to go.
- Foam rolling. Check! I have been foam rolling every morning and night — well, with the exception of last night…and this morning.
- Picking a race day outfit. No check — yet. This is on my list of things to do today. The weather said rain for Saturday at one point, now it just says cloudy. I’m thinking capris and a light long-sleeved shirt. Stay tuned.
- Wearing flats. Semi-check. I couldn’t wear flats to the event last night, come on now! However, I’m wearing flats today and will do my best to stick to this one for the rest of the week.
Overally it looks like I’m handling the week OK! I’m getting plenty (if not too much) fuel and taking care of my body, though I could stand to get more sleep.
Off to tackle the short work day then be as productive as possible. Have a great day!
TELL ME: What are your Taper Week tips and tricks? Do you like tapering off your mileage and getting your body rested for the race, or do you get antsy? Usually I hate tapering because I love running every day, but because I also happen to be super busy this week, it’s working out in my favor.