Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
- September 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 177: You Can Run a Marathon Q&A with Greg McMillan & Dr. Cathy Yeckel
- September 25, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 176: Megan Harrington, Creator of The Runner's Kitchen
Entering Race Day Mode
The countdown is on!
In less than one week, I will be traveling to D.C. to run the National 1/2 Marathon. Despite the fact that I’ve been sick for the past week, I’m getting totally pumped for the trip and for the race.
When I first signed up for this race, I set two goals for myself:
- Train injury free.
- Complete the race in less than 2 hours, which would be a new personal record and make me feel pretty bad ass.
Obviously I can’t vouch for the second goal yet, but I’m feeling proud of the way I’ve taken care of my body in order to remain healthy throughout training.
I foam rolled often, stretched regularly and cross trained. I stuck to my rough training plan and experienced both good and bad long runs.
As race day approaches, I feel ready and I feel confident.
This morning, I enjoyed a nice 4-mile run along the river. The air was brisk, but the sun was shining. I kept an easy pace so as not to push myself too hard.
So, with race day just six days out, here’s what I’ll be doing this week in order to stay on track:
- Carbo loading — starting now. You bet I’ll be eating lots of pasta plus plenty of veggies.
- Staying hydrated. Honestly, I always stay hydrated and I drink water constantly. I’ll just keep that up.
- Not drinking alcohol. This is both because I’m still on antibiotics and because I don’t want to get run down or dehydrated leading up to the race.
- Getting rest. I say this, but hopefully I’ll actually stick to it. I never get enough sleep, and I have a very busy week coming up. I’m going to try very hard to get plenty of shut eye.
- Making lists. Packing lists, shopping lists, cooking lists, etc. I’m a list gal, and my bullet points will be in full force this week.
- Foam rolling. I do it, but not enough. I want to really roll out my sore muscles this week so they’re ready to rock on Saturday.
- Picking a race day outfit. At this point, I don’t know the weather forecast and I honestly haven’t thought one bit about what I’m going to wear to run. I’ll figure it out — or, more likely, I’ll just pack everything I own.
- Wearing flats. This is the one I’m least likely to stick with. I live in heels. But I want to try to wear flats a bit more often this week. (Don’t hold me to this one, pretty please!)
TELL ME: Any other pre-race day advice? What are your tips and tricks for staying prepared as you approach race day?