- This just in. Hawaii Part II: Maui, now up on Ali On The Run. Then maybe I'll talk about something… http://t.co/kkhLxEXR2B 04:33:19 PM December 18, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Hawaii Part II! Five days in Maui. Post basically sponsored by champagne. http://t.co/mP1aEK2q4Q 02:02:02 PM December 18, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Hawaii Part I: Oahu, now on the blog. Spoiler: It ends well. http://t.co/NmRtfaIars 07:10:03 PM December 17, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- December 18, 2014 by AliHawaii Part II: Maui!
- December 17, 2014 by AliHawaii Part I: Oahu
- December 8, 2014 by Ali“Are You Serious?!”
- November 21, 2014 by AliDon't You Forget About Me
- November 5, 2014 by Ali“This Isn’t Steamtown”: My New York City Marathon 2014 Recap
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
Running For My Sanity
The other day, Jess at Fit Chick in the City posted a great question on her blog: Why do you run?
Most days I run because it’s just what I do. I wake up, I suit up and I run. I don’t question it.
I run because I like to start my day outside. The view doesn’t hurt either.
I run in the morning because I need to know what the weather is like. You can’t always trust Al Roker.
I run because I relish time spent alone. When I run, I think about everything and oftentimes I think about nothing at all.
I run because I love endorphins.
But of all the reasons I run, the one that resonates with me the most is that I run to stay sane. Last night I didn’t get to sleep until 3 am. When the alarm went off for me to wake up just two and a half hours later, I had two choices:
- Stay in bed and try to fall back asleep (when really I knew I’d just lie there, thinking about what kept me up so late to begin with).
- Get up, put on my sneakers and get some peace of mind the best way I know how.
You know which one I chose, right?
Today, though I wasn’t timing myself, I’m pretty sure I ran the fastest, hardest four miles of my life. I felt like I was physically moving the ground underneath me.
It wasn’t until two miles into the run that I even realized I had my headphones on but never even pushed play on my iPod. I didn’t notice the other runners — though it was freezing outside and I’m sure not many of them were out today — and I didn’t feel any pain. I just ran.
Jess, does that answer your question?
So obviously I’ve got some stuff going on right now — some exciting stuff, some crazy stuff, some sad stuff — but there’s one thing that I tell myself every single day:
New yellow shirts help, too.
Let’s end this post on a happy note, shall we?
A few of you posted great responses last night about what you’d like me to include on the Ali On The Run FAQ page. Leave comments if you have any questions for me and I’ll be sure to answer them for you!
YOUR TURN TO TALK: Same question. Why do YOU run?