Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/DQZzdzlyNs 06:53:24 PM May 27, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/sHFVxoXoqG 06:52:03 PM May 27, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Had a very special little guest on the Ali on the Run Show today! (OK, two special guests!) LOOK… https://t.co/JWyNnN3J07 06:15:01 PM May 26, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- May 25, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 31: Dan Nevins, Army Veteran, Double Amputee & Yoga Teacher
- May 23, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 30: My Crohn's Disease Story
- May 21, 2017 by Ali2017 Airbnb Brooklyn Half Recap
- May 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 29: Meredith Kennedy, Marketing Operations Manager at BuzzFeed
- May 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 28: Let's Talk Running Pet Peeves
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Running For My Sanity
The other day, Jess at Fit Chick in the City posted a great question on her blog: Why do you run?
Most days I run because it’s just what I do. I wake up, I suit up and I run. I don’t question it.
I run because I like to start my day outside. The view doesn’t hurt either.
I run in the morning because I need to know what the weather is like. You can’t always trust Al Roker.
I run because I relish time spent alone. When I run, I think about everything and oftentimes I think about nothing at all.
I run because I love endorphins.
But of all the reasons I run, the one that resonates with me the most is that I run to stay sane. Last night I didn’t get to sleep until 3 am. When the alarm went off for me to wake up just two and a half hours later, I had two choices:
- Stay in bed and try to fall back asleep (when really I knew I’d just lie there, thinking about what kept me up so late to begin with).
- Get up, put on my sneakers and get some peace of mind the best way I know how.
You know which one I chose, right?
Today, though I wasn’t timing myself, I’m pretty sure I ran the fastest, hardest four miles of my life. I felt like I was physically moving the ground underneath me.
It wasn’t until two miles into the run that I even realized I had my headphones on but never even pushed play on my iPod. I didn’t notice the other runners — though it was freezing outside and I’m sure not many of them were out today — and I didn’t feel any pain. I just ran.
Jess, does that answer your question?
So obviously I’ve got some stuff going on right now — some exciting stuff, some crazy stuff, some sad stuff — but there’s one thing that I tell myself every single day:
New yellow shirts help, too.
Let’s end this post on a happy note, shall we?
A few of you posted great responses last night about what you’d like me to include on the Ali On The Run FAQ page. Leave comments if you have any questions for me and I’ll be sure to answer them for you!
YOUR TURN TO TALK: Same question. Why do YOU run?