Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- Everything’s better in the off-season. 😎 @ Asbury Park Boardwalk https://t.co/lQSHJQD2c2 about 9 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- NYC runners, I am so sad I can't go to this, but YOU SHOULD! A great lineup sharing @nycmarathon tips, advice, and… https://t.co/uFMAjhepeC about 16 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My gift to myself for surviving my first year of motherhood was the gift of family photos — taken by the same perso… https://t.co/BSf4zcicWd 07:33:24 AM October 17, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Last year, Carly Gill fell just two minutes short of her goal of qualifying for the Olympic Marathon Trials. On thi… https://t.co/4shPKggSF2 06:31:24 AM October 17, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
Ali On The Rest
I’m actually taking a rest day. Is everyone happy now?
After yesterday’s humbling running experience, I knew that — as much as I hate taking days off — a rest day was in order.
Thank you all for your supportive comments yesterday. I know that one of my major flaws is that I push myself too hard and don’t listen to my body enough. You all reassured me that it’s OK to have a bad day. It makes the next great day that much better!
The rest of my day yesterday was spent shopping (I got a cute top at Anthropologie that’s perfect for both work and play, as well as much-needed new jeans at Gap), watching TV with ABS and ordering in an amazing pad thai dinner.
Last night — late last night — ABS and I went out for his friend’s birthday. The party didn’t start until midnight. I took a power nap from 10:30 until 11:30 in preparation.
The party was at a lounge downtown and it was a bit…intense for me. Very crowded, very minimal clothing on most people, pricey drinks and lots of bottle service. Not really my scene, but we had a good time people watching and the DJ was fantastic.
We didn’t stay at the party long, then ABS and I decided to get a drink just the two of us, somewhere quieter. He got a beer and I had a spiked hot chocolate. Perfect ending to a chilly day!
Today, my body signaled exhaustion: I slept until almost 10 am! That’s a major feat for me. It was nice to leisurely get up, eat some breakfast, watch some “Beverly Hills 90210” on SoapNet and do some foam rolling and easy ab stuff.
Then, it was time to treat myself! I got a pedicure, which is amazing and not something I do very often. I finished reading my book (The Help — anyone read it? I thought it was entertaining, but it wasn’t my favorite.) and now I’m ready to do some cleaning around the apartment.
ABS and I are running some errands later and then we have a dinner date at Tony’s Di Napoli — my favorite place!
And I’m forcing myself not to run, as much as I may want to. Rest, Ali, Rest.
TELL ME: Do you like or loathe rest days? I have such a hard time taking them, even when I know it’s the right thing to do.