Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- It’s my first time being away from Annie, and I’m totally fine! No, really. I am actually totally fine! I miss her… https://t.co/M7OAKfdEUk 07:33:16 PM January 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This is exactly what I needed to watch this morning. (And every morning.) @BillyYang https://t.co/UOUYs5AV1w 09:13:16 AM January 24, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My vision: me, standing all cute in front of the NYC skyline, holding big, shiny, hot pink balloons spelling out “2… https://t.co/OvFMUZlzJ5 06:16:58 PM January 23, 2020 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- January 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 200: Starla Garcia, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- January 17, 2020 by AliThe 10 Best Parts of My Week
- January 15, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 199: My 2020 Visions, Plans, Hopes, & Dreams
- January 14, 2020 by AliAnnie Update: 15 Months
- January 10, 2020 by AliThis Week
A Changed Mentality
Oh hi! Thanks for joining me this morning.
I’m still riding a little high today after getting the exciting news last night that I got through the first round of the Jack Rabbit Sports “Run for the Rabbit” competition. My screen test is on Friday and I’ve already mentally selected plenty of outfits to try out for the big day.
I didn’t run this morning. I did some ab things and I did some stretching, but I didn’t break a sweat.
I’ve come a long way since the fall!
A few months ago, when I really started getting into running, I became borderline obsessed with running every weekday morning. If my day didn’t start off with some mileage and some perspiration, I often felt doomed, like I couldn’t possibly have a good day after that. I’d berate myself for being “lazy” and as much damage as I was doing to myself, I was affecting others instead. I’m pretty sure ABS was afraid of me for a while.
I know it sounds a little crazy, but for a long time I would get seriously upset if I woke up and the weather prevented me from getting outside. Then I’d be cranky for the first few hours of the day because of one little missed workout.
It took a long time for me to get past that mindset, and to be totally honest I don’t think I’m quite there yet.
I’ve never been a person who needs a ton of sleep. I always wake up early, even on the weekends, and my body functions just fine on about six hours a night.
This morning, although my alarm was set for 5:30, I knew I shouldn’t get up for it. My legs felt heavy just laying there. I think if they could talk, today at 5:30 my legs would have said, “Please Ali, noooooo, don’t make us work right now!” I obliged, and even though I didn’t fall back into a solid sleep, I did lay in bed for about an hour, listening to the rain outside. (And listening to ABS bang around in the shower — what does he do in there? Drop shampoo bottles for fun?)
Eventually I got out of bed, stretched, did some crunches and watched the news. I couldn’t believe it, but I enjoyed it. I didn’t feel guilty for not running, and I definitely didn’t feel like my day was doomed.
Little victories, my friends. They make such a difference in the long run.
Like I’ve said before, running for me is less about the workout aspect and more about the mental state it gets me into. Because I missed out on that this morning, I did a few other things to ensure I still had a great day.
Here are 5 Tips For Having A Great Day When You Miss Your Morning Workout:
- Engage your senses. There’s this bakery I walk by on my way to work, and today I sauntered past it as slowly as possible. It smells incredible and it’s impossible not to smile when you’re breathing in freshly-baked pastries.
- Listen to your favorite music. I’m not embarrassed to admit that when “Gonna Make U Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” randomly came on my iPod this morning I got an extra pep in my step. The beat encouraged me to pick up my walking pace a bit, and I reminisced about the good old Jock Jam high school days.
- Pack something yummy to eat later in the day. I have a Fuji apple in the fridge with my name on it. So crisp. So delicious.
- Wear something you like. How many times do I need to say this? Today I went with a cardigan with ruffles on it. How can you not be happy when you’re wearing ruffles?
- Laugh! Need help getting a giggle in today? Here’s my favorite article, guaranteed to make you laugh on any given Tuesday.
And because everyone seems to enjoy it, here’s today’s outfit and hair:
TELL ME: Do you have any tips or tricks for ensuring you have a great day?