- "Oh Road Trip is on! Is that movie any good?" —Mom about 16 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Evidently my parents have never heard Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving Song. Haven't heard them giggle like this in a long time. about 17 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My dad thinks the star of The Good Wife is Nancy Kerrigan. HAHAHAHA. about 17 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- November 21, 2014 by AliDon't You Forget About Me
- November 5, 2014 by Ali“This Isn’t Steamtown”: My New York City Marathon 2014 Recap
- October 21, 2014 by Ali10 Reasons The Runner's World Half Marathon & Festival Was Wonderful (Plus A Giveaway!)
- October 15, 2014 by AliSteamtown Marathon Recap
- October 11, 2014 by AliOne More Day I Get To Run
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
How To Have A Good Day
It’s quite simple, really. Here’s my two-step plan for starting your day off on the right foot:
Step 1: Make eye contact with a stranger.
Step 2: Smile.
Boom. It’ll make you feel good and you may even get a smile in return. I swear, this works. I smile at random people all the time, and whether I get ignored or winked at (yup) I instantly feel a little surge of happiness.
Try it. Please. Then let me know how it goes! And don’t be shy — if you live in a big city or you take public transportation, it’s likely you’ll never see that person again.
Today is already a good day. Yes, I’ve smiled at some strangers, but there are other reasons, too. I will now share those reasons with you.
When my alarm went off at 5:40 am, I actually felt rested and ready to get out of bed. Usually I’m a snoozer/cuddler and getting up takes some effort. ABS wasn’t budging this morning, but I was ready to rock.
I went for a 4-mile run and beat the snow. (Honestly, I didn’t even know it was supposed to snow today — more on that later) Since I didn’t run yesterday, my legs felt refreshed and the warmer weather (28 degrees!) made for easy breathing. Success! I also passed lots of runners going in the opposite direction and I smiled at every single one of them. Only one cute lady walker actually smiled back and said “Good morning,” but it’s cool. They were probably smiling in their heads… Right?
I wore an old hat. I mean old. Like from high school. I discovered this winter gem when I was cleaning out our (my) coat closet a few days ago. It’s circa the early 2000s and from American Eagle. I can’t decide if it’s awesome or outdated. Either way, it kept my head warm during my morning commute.
No, it doesn’t match my black coat. No, I don’t care.
It’s snowing in NYC! As I mentioned, I had no idea it was supposed to snow today! The nice weather man on TV said partly cloudy, break from the freezing temps, blah blah blah. So imagine my surprise when I left my apartment and saw a pretty little snowstorm happening.
I’m aware that you can’t tell it’s snowing from this picture, but I promise you, it is. Big, white, fluffy flakes — the kind that like to sit on your eyelashes. I like snow days like this. It probably won’t stick too much and it looks nice coming down.
(Confession: ABS did tell me this morning that it was going to snow today. He warned me. But I was like, “No it’s not! The weather man says clouds only! Gosh, ABS, don’t tell me what the weather is going to be like when you don’t even know.” My mistake.)
I wore an outfit I like. I wear this outfit All. The. Time. It’s sort of my go-to for work and for going out. Dark wide-leg jeans, black and white patterned shirt, black belt and a lime green bracelet for a pop of color. As usual, I used the office bathroom as my personal self portrait studio for your viewing pleasure.
Please note that I managed to stand in front of a black garbage can for this photo. So while it looks like the crotch part of the jeans hangs down toward my mid-thigh area, that’s not the case. I swear they are more flattering than that.
NOW YOU TELL ME: What has made your day great so far?