Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/DQZzdzlyNs about 25 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Happy. @ Lansdale, Pennsylvania https://t.co/sHFVxoXoqG about 27 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Had a very special little guest on the Ali on the Run Show today! (OK, two special guests!) LOOK… https://t.co/JWyNnN3J07 06:15:01 PM May 26, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- May 25, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 31: Dan Nevins, Army Veteran, Double Amputee & Yoga Teacher
- May 23, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 30: My Crohn's Disease Story
- May 21, 2017 by Ali2017 Airbnb Brooklyn Half Recap
- May 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 29: Meredith Kennedy, Marketing Operations Manager at BuzzFeed
- May 16, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 28: Let's Talk Running Pet Peeves
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
A Hop, Skip, Car, Train, Cab, Subway, Train, Train & Another Cab Away
I crossed through six states today.
I shouldn’t complain. My trip back to NYC was fairly easy and uneventful. Most New Yorkers weren’t so lucky this week.
But still, I spent a lot of time sitting up and trying to entertain myself.
Here’s how it all went down…
I woke up at 7 am in my hard bed in New Hampshire. Sorry Mom & Dad. I love you both for buying me a full-sized bed when I was in high school, but now that I’m a bit older, it’s like sleeping on a rock.
As sad as I was to leave my parents after a few wonderful, Wii-filled days together, I wasn’t sad to be leaving that bed. Ouch!
The first step in getting from New Hampshire to NYC was driving to Boston. My mom drove me down to South Station (She hates the drive, but loves me enough to do it — thanks, Mom!) and we made record time.
South Station is so pretty and way less crazy than New York City’s Penn Station. It’s also less hectic than Grand Central Station.
I had booked an Amtrak Acela Express train to take me from Boston to NYC.
These trains are so nice!
I watched I Love You, Man (for the millionth time) on my laptop and snacked on the peanut butter sandwich (cut into triangles!) that my mom made me.
The scenery was booooooring.
Once I got off the train at Penn Station, it’s like I got slapped in the face with a stress ball.
Ahhhh New York, NY. You’re so cruel, and yet I love you so much.
The city is seriously a mess. The snowstorm cleanup effort was a failed one.
Needless to say, getting a cab was not easy.
I lugged my huge suitcases, my laptop and my purse all over midtown before I could get a cab.
And I wanted to run.
The roads are quite messy, but I figured I’d give the East Side running path a try.
I only had time to cover about 3 miles, and this is what the path looked like.
It was cleared in some parts…
I gave the snow running a whirl — slowly and very carefully — and it was difficult. It was also a great core workout, since I was tightening my entire upper body in an effort to stay strong and not slip.
After my run, I took a really quick shower because I had big plans tonight:
Taking ABS to the NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers hockey game!
That was my Christmas present to him, since he’s a big Devils fan. Plus, it was my first NHL experience.
Of course, getting to the game in Newark, NJ, required a subway ride and a train ride, plus a train ride and a cab to get back home.
Still, it was So. Much. Fun.
At one point, ABS asked me if I had any idea what I was yelling.
I just like to make noise.
Now I’m back at the apartment — totally unpacked — and ready to get into my cozy, soft bed.
I have tomorrow off (yay!) and need to make a dessert for the New Year’s Eve party ABS and I are attending. I got a Twitter suggestion from Emilia recommending red velvet cookies. Love that idea! I’m also contemplating peppermint bark or (finally) trying out cake balls and/or dough balls.
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
TELL ME: Are you back home safely from your holiday travels? Also, what’s your preferred method of transportation? After today, I’m a huge fan of the Acela Express train!