- Hated saying goodbye to my best girl but happy to report that I am [fully doped up on Imodium… https://t.co/f2pFkxFxl6 about 9 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: Dear Body... https://t.co/DkeqB3vIZu about 18 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: A letter to my misbehaving body. https://t.co/DkeqB3vIZu 09:04:12 PM September 24, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New post: I wrote this yesterday in a fit of frustration & sadness. A little different for me, but...here you go. https://t.co/DkeqB3vIZu 01:39:20 PM September 24, 2016 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- September 24, 2016 by AliA Letter To My Body
- September 21, 2016 by AliI Had My Wisdom Teeth Removed!
- September 19, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 9
- September 15, 2016 by AliThankful Things Thursday: Six Happy Things (Including A PRO Compression Giveaway!)
- September 12, 2016 by AliNew York City Marathon Training: Week 8
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
A Hop, Skip, Car, Train, Cab, Subway, Train, Train & Another Cab Away
I crossed through six states today.
I shouldn’t complain. My trip back to NYC was fairly easy and uneventful. Most New Yorkers weren’t so lucky this week.
But still, I spent a lot of time sitting up and trying to entertain myself.
Here’s how it all went down…
I woke up at 7 am in my hard bed in New Hampshire. Sorry Mom & Dad. I love you both for buying me a full-sized bed when I was in high school, but now that I’m a bit older, it’s like sleeping on a rock.
As sad as I was to leave my parents after a few wonderful, Wii-filled days together, I wasn’t sad to be leaving that bed. Ouch!
The first step in getting from New Hampshire to NYC was driving to Boston. My mom drove me down to South Station (She hates the drive, but loves me enough to do it — thanks, Mom!) and we made record time.
South Station is so pretty and way less crazy than New York City’s Penn Station. It’s also less hectic than Grand Central Station.
I had booked an Amtrak Acela Express train to take me from Boston to NYC.
These trains are so nice!
I watched I Love You, Man (for the millionth time) on my laptop and snacked on the peanut butter sandwich (cut into triangles!) that my mom made me.
The scenery was booooooring.
Once I got off the train at Penn Station, it’s like I got slapped in the face with a stress ball.
Ahhhh New York, NY. You’re so cruel, and yet I love you so much.
The city is seriously a mess. The snowstorm cleanup effort was a failed one.
Needless to say, getting a cab was not easy.
I lugged my huge suitcases, my laptop and my purse all over midtown before I could get a cab.
And I wanted to run.
The roads are quite messy, but I figured I’d give the East Side running path a try.
I only had time to cover about 3 miles, and this is what the path looked like.
It was cleared in some parts…
I gave the snow running a whirl — slowly and very carefully — and it was difficult. It was also a great core workout, since I was tightening my entire upper body in an effort to stay strong and not slip.
After my run, I took a really quick shower because I had big plans tonight:
Taking ABS to the NJ Devils vs. NY Rangers hockey game!
That was my Christmas present to him, since he’s a big Devils fan. Plus, it was my first NHL experience.
Of course, getting to the game in Newark, NJ, required a subway ride and a train ride, plus a train ride and a cab to get back home.
Still, it was So. Much. Fun.
At one point, ABS asked me if I had any idea what I was yelling.
I just like to make noise.
Now I’m back at the apartment — totally unpacked — and ready to get into my cozy, soft bed.
I have tomorrow off (yay!) and need to make a dessert for the New Year’s Eve party ABS and I are attending. I got a Twitter suggestion from Emilia recommending red velvet cookies. Love that idea! I’m also contemplating peppermint bark or (finally) trying out cake balls and/or dough balls.
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
TELL ME: Are you back home safely from your holiday travels? Also, what’s your preferred method of transportation? After today, I’m a huge fan of the Acela Express train!