- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
- February 8, 2016 by AliNYRR Gridiron 4M Recap
- February 2, 2016 by AliHow Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Is Changing My Life (And My Running)
- January 28, 2016 by AliA Very Ellie Update
- January 26, 2016 by AliPlanning A Puppy Graduation Party (And Other Life-Changing Plans & Goals)
- January 21, 2016 by AliThankful Things Thursday: Running & Puppies
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
The Refine Method Class Review
But before I get to that, a quick recap of my day:
- 5:30 am wakeup = success!
- Morning ab workout = success!
- 6.4 mile run in Central Park = cold, success!
- Work = busy, stressful, semi-success
So there’s that.
I came home after work—it was the first time since I moved over a month ago that I came straight home from the office. Crazy! I’m always off to the gym or some random work function. I had to think twice about the fastest way to get back to my apartment.
The plan was to have a pre-workout snack, since the Refine class didn’t start until 7:35 pm.
Enter, my new love:
Um. How had I not discovered this until last week? Crazy. It’s so good.
After the delicious snack (plus some baby carrots and a handful—OK 12 handfuls—of my brother’s homemade Chex Mix) it was off to class.
So as I mentioned above, I got the hookup for this fabulously free class through Dori, who posted this great Refine Method review on her blog a few weeks ago.
I wanted to take the class for a few reasons:
- To meet Dori in person!
- To meet other NYC-based bloggers and fitnessy folk.
- To try a new, barre method-based class. I’ve read so much about Physique57, Bar Method Soho, Core Fusion, etc., but hadn’t given any of the classes a try myself. But a free shot? Perfect.
- The instructor, Brynn Jinnett, is a dancer! She was a member of New York City Ballet, so I knew she’d be a rockstar instructor. I love meeting dancers (I used to be one, and now I work in the industry).
- The studio is just 10 blocks from my apartment. Couldn’t possibly be more convenient.
First of all, the studio is fantastic. It’s the perfect size for an intimate class but I never felt cramped or too close to the person next to me (by the way, I ended up next to Dori, who is a freakin’ Refine Method superstar—hellooooo inspiration).
We went through a whole series of moves including deep squats and pliés, upper body and ab work using the cable pulley-systems attached to the wall and some deep stretching at the end of class.
The workout itself is fantastic. It’s low impact but I definitely broke a major sweat. I’m fairly certain I’ll be feeling it tomorrow morning!
My favorite thing about tonight’s class was that Brynn is a fantastic teacher.
She’s one of those people you say “Hi” to and instantly feel like you’ve known her forever. She was warm and friendly, but once she got into teaching mode she really commanded the room. Plus I had fun chatting with her after class about people in the dance world.
Fun Fact: She told me that Kevin McKenzie, the artistic director at American Ballet Theatre, wants to come take a class with her! Probably not a big deal to most, but for those dance nerds out there like me, that’s pretty awesome.
And of course, it was great to meet all the other young women who came out for class. (Special shout out to Alison Foster. The coolest girls are ones named Alison, spelled with the fewest letters possible, and have last names that start with the letter F.)
I also got to meet Melissa tonight, whose blog was one of the first ones I started reading this spring when I first got hooked on the healthy living blog world.
So another thanks to Dori for offering up this class.
I highly recommend Brynn and the Refine Method. You’ll leave feeling the burn!
TELL ME: What fitness class should I try next?! I really want to check out SoulCycle. Send me your recommendations!