Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- July 1, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 257: Nutrition Q&A with Starla Garcia, Registered Dietitian
- June 29, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 256: On the Job with Vikki Spruill, President & CEO of New England Aquarium
- June 25, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 255: Ramblings on the Run with Ali & Matt
- June 24, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 254: Samia Akbar, Fastest U.S.-Born Black Female Marathoner
- June 22, 2020 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 253: On the Job with Steph Blozy, Owner of Fleet Feet Sports West Hartford
‘Tis the Season to be Happy
It’s kind of a gross day here in NYC. It’s December 1, which is fun—once it’s December I allow myself to start rocking out to holiday music—but it’s dark, it’s raining and it’s so windy that my dress kept blowing up on my blustery walk to work.
Yes, Manhattan, you’re welcome. Most of you have now seen my butt.
Anyway. In the spirit of the holiday season—Hanukkah begins tonight and Christmas is just 25 days away—I think it’s time to bring on the cheer.
A while ago I started making a list called “100 Happy Things.” It’s pretty straightforward: 100 things that always, without fail, make me happy.
I haven’t hit 100 yet, so I’m going to make it a permanent page on the blog, that way I can jump in and update when I think of more.
Also, I want you to participate! What are YOUR happy things? Leave them in the comments and maybe, just maybe, they’ll show up on the list.
- A long run
- An awesome spinning class
- Britney Spears’s “Oops (I Did It Again)” music video
- Red Starburst
- Getting all the dishes done and having an empty sink
- Lululemon tank tops
- Making lists
- Finding out at the register that something is on sale
- Magazine day in the mail
- Finding money
- Fall foliage
- Apple picking at Gould Hill Orchard in New Hampshire
- Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies
- Skinny mirrors
- Will Ferrell
- Watching old dance videos from competitions and recitals
- Playing with a puppy
- The High Line Park in NYC
- Pad thai
- Outlet shopping with Mom
- Beech Hill Farm in Hopkinton, NH
- Seeing really tall people
- Seeing really big dogs
- Seeing cruise ships on my morning run
- Having sore arms
- Running in Central Park
- When the laundry is all done and put away
- Finishing writing an article
- Driving with the windows down
- When no one sits in front of you at the movies so you can put your feet up
- The first time you use a new soap or lotion scent
- Ice cream sandwiches
- Mom’s fleetchki (noodles, cheese, yum)
- Honey’s meatballs (Honey is my grandmother and her Swedish meatballs are to die for—everyone fights over them at Christmas)
- Ocean City, NJ
- Peeling a Clementine in one peel
- Getting real mail from someone
- Peeing in the ocean (yeah, maybe I’m gross—but you know you do it, too)
- The smell of a campfire
- Taking off your bra at the end of the day
- Elmo from Sesame Street
- Getting the answers right on Jeopardy!
- Andes mints
- When delivery food arrives really fast
- Having a funny dream and waking up laughing
- Eating raw cookie dough
- Seeing your food come out of the kitchen at a restaurant
- Going on the playground swings
- Double Stuffed Oreos dipped in milk
- Picking a wedgie (oh so satisfying)
- Getting a massage
- Having the warm pizza box on your lap in the car
- Getting a piece of cheese at the deli
- Really hot winter showers
- Outdoor showers
- Macintosh scented Yankee Candles
- Getting out an ingrown hair (whatever, I never claimed to be perfect…or sexy)
- High fives
- Putting your own shoes back on after you go bowling
- When the teacher calls you out for doing a move correctly during a group fitness class
- Getting comments on my blog!
- Getting a raise
OK, I need 38 more happy things and my goal is to finish the list by December 31!
TALK: What always makes you happy?