Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- This post is #sponsored by the amergastroassn #IBDParenthoodProject. Now and then. It's so crazy to look back at… https://t.co/q8xyFhBdCG 07:12:30 AM November 15, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “When you’re in a powerless position & the rest of your career is totally dependent on what you do, you aren’t goin… https://t.co/Oxg9MuShaT 06:30:59 AM November 15, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- November 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 189: Running Industry Hot Takes with Phoebe Wright
- November 13, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 188: Nikki Hiltz & Therese Haiss
- November 6, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 187: I'm a New York City Marathon Race Announcer!
- November 4, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 186: Why It's An Exciting Time for Women's Running LIVE Show
- October 30, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 185: Janelle Hartman, Final Finisher of the 2018 New York City Marathon
What the Doctor Ordered
I’m not at work.
I used to feel incredibly guilty taking sick days. Despite the fact that I get seven of them every year, I usually only go through two or three. I tend to get stressed about not being in the office. What can I say? It’s the control freak in me.
But when my alarm went off this morning, I knew I needed to make the call.
My throat was sore. My head hurt. My body felt so heavy that I didn’t think I could even get out of bed.
I consulted with ABS, who was definitely still in a pretty deep sleep:
Me: “Is it bad if I call in sick?”
I went back to bed and though I stirred a bit while ABS was getting ready for work (pretty sure he was envious that I was still in bed, since I am always up before him), but once he left and turned the lights off, I was out.
When I re-awoke at 8:00, I felt better, at least mentally. I really needed those extra 2 1/2 hours. I leisurely got up, ate a granola bar and watched the Today show.
I was feeling OK and rested, so I put on these brand-spanking-new guys to see what I could accomplish despite feeling less than stellar:
I wear Brooks Adrenaline sneakers and couldn’t resist the good deal they were having on them at RoadRunnerSports.com. I normally pay upwards of $120 for them at Jack Rabbit Sports solely because I love that store so much. But $70 online? Don’t mind if I do.
Anyway. The shoes fit great, and as soon as I started investing in real running shoes I learned that the look doesn’t matter. The feel does.
I remember buying my first pair of running shoes at Jack Rabbit. They had me on the treadmill, had me pick out the pair I liked, and then I said “What other colors does this shoe come in? Do you have lime green?” The sales guy looked at me like I had six heads.
That’s when I learned: fit over fashion.
Anyway. The shoes felt great and I’m excited to start breaking in a new pair.
The run, however… Well let’s just say I probably should have stayed in bed. I covered 7 miles somehow, but I was hurting. My body felt tired. Signs that I need rest.
Maybe one of my 2011 resolutions will be to learn to chill out. I’ve been pushing it pretty hard lately.
So now I will run some local errands than resolve to the couch for the day. Because fun things are happening tonight and this weekend…
Tonight = Elf on Broadway!
Tomorrow = My first hot yoga class at Pure Yoga (Still open to any advice about what to wear, things to know, etc.)
Sunday = Blogger brunch at Ashley’s! Can’t wait to meet all the people I read about all the time.
Have a great day, everyone! SoapNet is calling my name…