Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- A beautiful piece about @ShalaneFlanagan's retirement, by @erinstrout for @WomensRunning! https://t.co/MroKJYnzsf 09:48:56 AM October 21, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It’s hard not to play the comparison game sometimes when it comes to running and social media. Every weekend morni… https://t.co/aM5H9M1OmL 07:34:45 PM October 20, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Everything’s better in the off-season. 😎 @ Asbury Park Boardwalk https://t.co/lQSHJQD2c2 02:45:55 PM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- NYC runners, I am so sad I can't go to this, but YOU SHOULD! A great lineup sharing @nycmarathon tips, advice, and… https://t.co/uFMAjhepeC 07:34:49 AM October 19, 2019 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- October 16, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 182: Carly Gill, Olympic Trials Qualifier
- October 14, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 181: Carrie Tollefson BONUS EPISODE!
- October 9, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 180: Roberta Groner, 2:29 Marathoner, Nurse, & Mom of Three
- October 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 179: Janae Baron BONUS EPISODE!
- October 2, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 178: Ladia Albertson-Junkans, Ultra Runner & Best Friend to Gabe Grunewald
Ali’s Big Break
On my way home from the gym tonight—after an amazing spin session—I decided to stop at Ricky’s near my apartment to buy a new shade of nail polish.
I hardly ever paint my nails. My toenails are always painted some shade of magenta—brighter in the summer, deeper in the winter—but my nails just chip all the time, so I don’t bother.
But for some reason, I’m feeling nail color this week. I broke so many nails during the move that they’re all a short, manageable length now. And they need to be brightened up.
So I’m looking at the wall filled with shades, feeling totally overwhelmed, when one shade catches my eye: a shimmery, somewhat sparkly deep red shade. Perfect.
It gets better.
I pick up the bottle to check the name of the polish: Ali’s Big Break.
O. M. G.
Spelled correctly and everything.
I took it as a sign and didn’t even check the price tag before bringing it to the register. (It was $9.99 by the way. More than I would pay for a shade with any other name.)
Tomorrow night’s project is, obviously, giving myself an at-home manicure. I’m anticipating that the unpacking process will be complete by then, so I can do some pampering.
In unrelated news, NYC has caught a severe case of Marathon Fever and I love it. There are good luck signs for the runners on shops and restaurants, the signage is hung in Central Park indicating the marathon course and people everywhere are excited.
I’m starting to seriously think that 2011 will be my Marathon Year…
TELL ME: Have you run a marathon before? I’ve run three 1/2 marathons, but never a full, and I’m starting to think I really want to do either the NYC Marathon or the Chicago Marathon next year. I’d love to hear from you about the process: training, nutrition, preparation and race day. What did you love? What did you hate? And of course, what’s your advice?