Listen to the Ali on the Run Show on iTunes!
- August 3, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 39: Registered Dietitian Kelly Hogan
- July 18, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 38: I'm Back!
- June 20, 2017 by AliAn Update on the Crohn's Situation + Things I'm Loving Right Now
- June 15, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 37: Lindsey Hein, Host of the I'll Have Another Podcast
- June 13, 2017 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 36: My Least Favorite Motivational Phrases
- October 26, 2012 by AliPlease Let Me Make Your Day (That Means A Giveaway!)
- June 15, 2012 by AliMonday. 9 AM. Get Sweaty. (And For Now: A Giveaway!)
- August 10, 2012 by AliTake My Sweat (It's A Giveaway & It's Not Gross)
- May 25, 2012 by AliDo You Want Free Sneakers? (Translation: A Giveaway!)
- July 9, 2013 by AliEmbrace The Sweat (An "I Heart Sweat" Shirt Giveaway!)
Misty Morning Run
I went to bed last night knowing it would probably be raining when I woke up. And it was—drizzling, at least. But that didn’t stop me from lacing up my shoes and wearing my “rain appropriate” running clothes.
Whenever it rains, I wear my NYC 1/2 Marathon dry-fit shirt. It’s more breathable when it gets drenched and it makes me feel hardcore. It’s raining, I’m still running, and I’m reminded that I ran a PR at the NYC 1/2 back in March. I love it, and it gives me a big mental boost.
I didn’t want to do my full 5 miles in the rain, though, so I shortened it to about 3.2 and added in stops to do dips and incline push-ups using the park benches and railings. It was great to start my day with some upper body work in addition to the usual run/then do a million crunches routine.
There’s something wonderfully soothing about running in the rain. I chose not to bring my iPod out with me because I have a paralyzing fear of getting it wet and ruining it. I almost always run with headphones—I never thought I’d be able to run without music, actually—but today it was nice to just hear what nature NYC has to offer.
Most people probably wouldn’t want to start their day getting wet, splashing through puddles and running in the dark. But that’s exactly what I needed this morning. Some alone time, and some peace and quiet. So until I find a yoga class I actually like, I think rain runs (it sounds good, right?) are the closest I’ll get to meditation.
Have a great day, everyone!