Listen to the Ali on the Run Show!
- May 22, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 144: Sara & Ryan Hall
- May 19, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 143: Motherhood Mondays with Dr. Taraneh Shirazian, OB/GYN & President of Saving Mothers
- May 15, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 142: Jen Ator, Women's Running Editor in Chief
- May 12, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 141: Motherhood Mondays with Colleen Lubin, Creator of Not Quite Knocked Up
- May 8, 2019 by AliAli on the Run Show Episode 140: Carolyn Su, Creator of @diversewerun
How I Stay Motivated
So the other day I promised a post on how I stay motivated to work out. But when I got down to thinking about how I really do stay motivated, I realized it’s not a matter of a “trick” or a gimmick.
Some people lay out their workout clothes the night before a scheduled workout so they have to put them on in the morning. Other people plan workout dates with friends so they can’t bail. All I do is consider my workout a part of my daily routine.
Every day, I know I have to be at the office by 9. I know that Glee comes on Tuesday nights at 8 (Just finished watching tonight’s episode—fantastic). Similarly, I reserve the 6–7 am hour every day for running, and the nighttime hours for gym classes. It’s just a part of my day.
And on the days when I really don’t want to work out? Well, I don’t work out. If your body is exhausted, injured or just tired, that’s a sign that you should stay in bed!
Sure, there are times when you can push it. This morning, for example, my alarm went off at 6:00 and I groaned a bit. But then I thought about how fantastic I would feel afterward. After all, exercising doesn’t have to last hours. I jog for 40–45 minutes to start my day. It doesn’t take long and it gets my day started on the right foot. I get some time alone, outside, and it’s so peaceful. You really can’t beat that.
And this morning, when I got back to my apartment? I was so glad I spent that time running, not sleeping.
Plus, if you need motivation, you’ve turned to the right place: The Healthy Living Blog community! Check out my blogroll for a list of awesome, inspiring bloggers who keep me wanting to achieve more.
Today in five words: Run, Work, Gym, Glee, EXHAUSTION! I’m going to do some reading then pass out. Sweet dreams!
DISCUSS: How do YOU stay motivated? I may not use fun tricks to get me to the gym, but I’m sure you do! So tell me about it.